Noria Corporation    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Condition Monitoring and Predictive Maintenance  Hop To Forums  Oil Analysis    GB/T & ASTM Test method
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GB/T & ASTM Test method
 Login/Join

Level 1 - 1 to 50 posts
posted
I read one oil analysis report this morning, I found out test methods for water contain is GB/T 260-1977 instead of ASTM D95, others also use difference method.

Water Contain: GB/T 260-1977 & ASTM D95
FLASH POINT: GB/T 3536-2008 & ASTM D92
PENTANE INSOLUBLES: GB/T 8926-1988 & ASTM D893

My question is: Is there a conversion factor or equation?

Posts: 9 | Location: Malaysia | Registered: Wed November 11 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 4 - 251 to 500 posts
posted Hide Post
Why don't you contact the lab that originated this report and ask them about it? While you do this, ask them about the procedures of these "GB/T" methods and if and how they differ from the ASTM procedures you quoted.

Posts: 312 | Location: West Linn, OR, US | Registered: Thu November 18 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 3 - 101 to 250 posts
posted Hide Post
Hello DS,

"when in Rome do as the Romans do" ASTM is the American Standards and Testing GB/T is the Chineese equivelent. The test results should show similar values, but the importand thing is to understand the baseline of the analysis and watch the trending.
good luck

Posts: 111 | Location: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: Mon February 16 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 3 - 101 to 250 posts
posted Hide Post
If they are quoting both methods for a single result, it implies that the methods are equivalent. The only red flag I see is that the Chinese version of water-by-distillation method hasn't been updated since 1977 and the insolubles-by-centrifuge method hasn't been updated since 1988. The methods may have been equivalent then, but may have parted ways in the meantime. Of course, neither method is exactly brain surgery.

If it's used oil data for trend analysis, it doesn't matter as long as they run the test the same way every time. You don't care what the "real" number is, you just care where your (possibly) "fake" numbers are going. In trend analysis, precision matters more than accuracy. You don't care what corners they cut to keep costs down, as long as they cut the same corners every time.

If it's product representation data, it only matters if you work for one particular supplier.

All of the lies you've heard about me are true

Posts: 201 | Location: The Swamps of Jersey | Registered: Fri May 09 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post