Noria Corporation    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Condition Monitoring and Predictive Maintenance  Hop To Forums  Oil Analysis    Compatability test of greases
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Compatability test of greases
 Login/Join

Level 2 - 51 to 100 posts
posted
Can anyone suggest some ASTM methods of conducting compatability tests with similiar soap greases?

Posts: 81 | Location: INDIA | Registered: Wed May 12 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 4 - 251 to 500 posts
posted Hide Post
Franky,

I do not recall seeing ASTM test method for compatibility of Greases. I wonder if it exists.

Hussam Adeni

Posts: 257 | Location: Singapore & Manila | Registered: Wed February 11 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 3 - 101 to 250 posts
posted Hide Post
I agree with Adeni and I think it is done with a 50 -50 mixup of grease and subjecting to worked penetration test to see the hardening and sofeting of the mixture and then see the sample is within the prescribed limit or changing consistency, and they are according to ASTM methods.
regards

Arupanjan Mukherji

Posts: 105 | Location: Kolkata, WB India | Registered: Sat March 20 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 3 - 101 to 250 posts
posted Hide Post
The generally accepted testing (basic) for grease compatability is to mix the 2 samples 25 - 75
50 - 50
75 - 25
and to conduct the ASTM D1831-94el Standard Test for Roll Stability of Lubricating Grease
and then to conduct the ASTM D217-97 Standard Test for Cone Penetration of Lubricating Grease.

Now comes the fun part. At what level or percentage of change are you as the end user going to accept/reject. And based on what performance criteria? The thinking is that if the 2 lubes are compatable then there will be a small change in the grease consistency. If there is a big change after the 2 hour test then you would assume that the 2 lubes are incompatable.

regards.....

Posts: 111 | Location: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: Mon February 16 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allan

Should we also consider drop point ' C of the mixture ?

What percentage Change in penetration number is acceptable? Should it stay in range of NLGI specification or 5% change of the individual grease is tolerable?

Your views please

Franky

Posts: 81 | Location: INDIA | Registered: Wed May 12 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 1 - 1 to 50 posts
posted Hide Post
You are right.The grease compatibility tests are done as per ASTM D 6185 in which Penetration, drop point and high temperature tests are done on 90:10,10:90,25:75,75:25 and 50:50 mixtures of greases.Depending upon the criticality of application Tribology tests are also recommended.
Normally,if the bases are same they should be compatable.
There is also a chart showing which grease is compatable with other grease.
Thanks

Posts: 18 | Location: india | Registered: Fri June 18 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vijay

That's what I was looking for , as customers need confirmation.

Thanks
Franky