Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Hi, I'm your newest newbie.

I drive a 2000 Ford Focus wagon with Zetec engine with 200,000 km (120k miles), 4-speed standard xmission, and pull a landscaping trailer with about 1000 lbs of equipment during the summer. It's very hilly up here, and constantly down-shifting to a lower gear to make it to the top of the next hill, etc., the A/C is on all summer, I leave the car idling for hours at a time to escape the heat. I use whatever synthetic oil I can get my hands on at the typical "jiffy lube." I think it was Castrol last time. I go well past the recommended change interval, 20,000 miles or more between changes. Our winters get down to -35 degrees Celsius regularly.

I would appreciate recommendations as to what oil and grade, change interval that you experienced people would use, oil flush, filter, magnets, etc. Also, gear case oil?

I also have a band new John Deere GX-335 air-cooled lawn tractor with Kawasaki 2-cylinder, 4-stroke engine. Can you suggest a motor oil and perhaps a good filter that will fit? It also has power steering, power lift and infinite speed xmission.

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Redline 5w30. But can you get it in Canada? Call Redline direct (Redlineoil.com) and see if they can ship. Or a buck a quart cheaper is myoilshop.com in PA.

Redline is the toughest oil out there for standing up to heat and abuse and also has very good cold properties. It is ester based (Group IV). The tech data is on their website.

The 30 weight is my basic recommendation for any vehicle unless I am told that oil pressure is low on 30 weight. Then I would suggest a 40 weight. As for drain interval with Redline, call them. I think Redline is supposed to be good for 10,000 to 18,000 miles. A one year interval would be great, changeing every fall to get the best advantage of the fresh oil cold properties for winter. How many miles do you run in a year?

Not sure about your tractor, but I plan on running Redline in my Honda engine generator and my Techumseh engine lawn mower.
Thanks, TallPaul,

Yes, Redline is available here in Canada at Canadian Tire stores. I saw the stuff at the nearest store to me located in Bracebridge. It's quite expensive up here, about $13.00 per quart. Interestingly, they also carry Amsoil 2000 oil, which is what I have in the John Deere right now. I was reading up about Redline on their site and their products sound impressive. Appreciate your resonse.

Regards, Paul.
Hi undummy,

I'll check out the Esso XD3. Currently, I'm using Quaker State 0W-30 with an API rating of SM synthetic oil. It was on sale at Canadian Tire recently. I've ordered some Auto-RX and will be treating the Focus soon. I've always used a synthetic oil in the car cuz I find it too inconvenient to change oil at 3-5k intervals. It looks very clean, no sludge, looking through the filler cap.

Thanks for the tip re the oil filter on the Johnny Deere! I hadn't thought of that.

Btw, what's this stuff about being banned, infomercials, etc.

Regards, Paul.
Hi Gang...
Just a quickie update. I traded the 2005 Focus SE for a "previously owned" 2005 Focus ZXW SES stick with 21 000 km. I gave it an "Auto-RX" treatment, and am close to giving it it's first Synthetic oil change. Having just re-read the posts, and Ford recommends a 0W-30 weight, I'll likely pick an Esso XD product, if I can find it.

Regards, Paul.
www.chalet-by-the-lake-b-and-b.com
www.paul-hicks.ca
I appreciate the informative reply, Motorbike. I browsed the agip site and read about their products. I've never heard of the stuff up here in the great white north. I doubt it's available up here. However, on my next visit to my daughter who live near Buffalo, I'll scout around, or ask them if they have a dealer in that area.

I should correct my earlier post. Ford insists the Focus ( Duratec ) usea 5W-20 grade, which all seem to be API-SM. I could only find 2 available in our Canadian Tire Stores up here (the other brand was Mobil 1). Their own housebrand, which sells for about $25. per 4.4 litre size, and was on-sale for $19. Having them do the change, with filter, cost about $50. Cdn., which is cheap by Canadian standards. An oil change at your typical Jiffy Lube establishment using Moble 1 cost $70. and up.

Does anybody have any idea who's sythetic oil Canadian Tire uses in their housebrand?

Canadian Tire also have a complete line of Lucas lubricants (no 5W-20), and a 3 of Amsoil (no 5W-20). Most up here are in the 0W,5W,10W -30 weights. My car is still under warranty. Not sure how Ford would take to me using a 30-weight oil if I have a warranty issue???
Hi there,
I am from Sydney, Australia. Normal temp. is around 10 degree C. to 25 degree C. of the city.
I have Daihatsu Sirion 1 lt. auto-trans. +80,000 Km car and I have been using Castrol Magnatec 10W-40, which is Semi-Synthetic. I would like to shift to Fully Synthetic oil, please advise.....as I don't know much about oils. My next block retailer wants to sell Havoline Synthetic 10W-50 !!

Thanks a lot.
--Neil
Link copied to your clipboard.