Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Replies sorted oldest to newest

SP3 is the latest version of Mitsubishi's ATF. It supercedes SP2. I believe it is more slippery than Chrysler's ATF+3/+4 formulations, giving a smoother shift and longer lasting transmission.
In terms of friction coeficient,
Type F is strong and abrupt
Dexron/Mercon is moderate
Chrysler is smooth
Mitsubishi is smoother.

The use of Dexron will shorten the transmission life.
According to http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/52539

They say that:
Valvoline supports the use of MERCON V ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those requiring DEXRON-III, MERCON, and MERCON V fluids including those where the following fluids are recommended:

o GM DEXRON II
o Allison C-4
o Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluids
o Toyota (and Lexus) Type T, T-III or T-IV fluids
o Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III fluids
o Hyundai
o Honda ATF-Z1 fluid (except in CVTs)
o BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids
o Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, or Matic-K fluids

I am still looking for more information though to be certain.
Additional info:

ATF, SP-II
Special Mitsubishi recommendation for automatic transmission fluid. This fluid has Dexron III fluidity but with different frictional characteristics.

ATF, SP-III
Special Mitsubishi recommendation for automatic transmission fluid. A more developed version with better low temperature properties and longer drain life and shift durability.
quote:
Originally posted by prtdvl:
I've been using ATF+3 in my 03 Montero which calls for Diamond SP III (ATF +4 is supposedly the equivalent.) The ATF+3 has done fine for 90k miles now. Amsoils ATF is supposed to meet Diamond SPIII specs.

Where did you get that information that ATF+4 is equivalent to Diamond SP III? I have a 03 MOnsTero too, and the mechanic wanted to save me some money by putting ATF+4 in, Im still quite hesitant because my Monster doesnt feel the same, the kick is quite there.. Besides there is this forum stating that, Maxlife ATF is the equivalent, or am I reading this wrong??

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/servlet/JiveServlet/d...ons%20APR%202007.pdf

Hope to hear from you soon!
Does anyone here know the history of Mitsubishi Transmission fluid??

Looking specifically for a type called Dia ATF SP.

I already know it has been superseded, and know it's equivalents, but wanted to know, when it existence started and ended.

I am currently looking for someone who might have NOS stock of this fluid. Was this fluid only sold in Japan?

Please reply back?

LubeTechBob.
Link copied to your clipboard.