Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on High Mileage Oil, Synthetic Oil and Kinematic Viscosity

Dear All,
When i try to search oil additive, i found this Lubegard product from International Lubricants, Inc, so my question: it is a good additive for engine oil?, and how about the Company?
Thanks for your advice and information.
Enoch

The solution to this protection gap is LUBEGARD ENGINE OIL PROTECTANT which supplements and enhances the effectiveness of the additive system already present in the oil. LUBEGARD replaces the depleted or insufficient additives and adds LXE® wear protectors and friction reducers which are unavailable in any oil. Minimum friction means maximum mileage; minimum wear means maximum service. In addition, LUBEGARD increases the thermal and oxidative stability of motor oil to prevent creation of sludge and deposits.

There is a need for improved oil additives for protection and mileage in view of the rapid technological changes in modern engine design. LUBEGARD provides a concentrated package that fulfills these deficiencies (without adding ZDDP, Chlorine, inappropriate sludge building additives like PTFE or solid lubricants such as Teflon®, graphite or molybdenum disulphide.)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Enoch,

I don't know of any vehicle, equipment or oil manufacturer that recommends the use of aftermarket motor oil additives. Some even warn of warranty issues if you do.

I think as long as you follow the manufacturers viscosity and classification recommendations, you will be fine. There are too many variables to play chemist with proprietary additives.

Selecting the best oil meeting the manufacturers recommendations with the best warranty and performing Used Oil Analysis is about the best you can do for a given application.
Last edited by timvipond
Well Robert I would never state that I know more than the 'PHD' formulators. But DR. Phillip S. Landis the founder of the LXE technology probably did. He was also involved in the formulation of a product you know more about.

That product was called MOBIL 1. Why don't you look him up. He was what some may call famous in the oil industry.

Like I mentioned in my opinion, Lubegard is one of the few products I would trust in my vehicle. Techron, SL1, or MMO would be a few others..

Next time do a little research, before you flame this company...You might find out they have a good reputation in the automotive industry.
Last edited by nucleardawg
Dear Tim,
Thank's for your suggest, since the new API grade SM is more penetrate to our market it's difficult to find oil 10w-40 or 5w-40 with API SH-SJ anymore. Not like you in US, i know there's a lot's of brands we can find for this spec.
thanks,
enoch

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vipond:
Enoch,

I don't know of any vehicle, equipment or oil manufacturer that recommends the use of aftermarket motor oil additives. Some even warn of warranty issues if you do.

I think as long as you follow the manufacturers viscosity and classification recommendations, you will be fine. There are too many variables to play chemist with proprietary additives.

Selecting the best oil meeting the manufacturers recommendations with the best warranty and performing Used Oil Analysis is about the best you can do for a given application.
yes Nucleardawg, this is about Biotech oil protectant, i asked this because we have seen a lots of product is snake-oil, like our very-very long discussion in synner's threads Big Grin
thanks,
enoch

quote:
Originally posted by Nucleardawg:
lubegard is one of the few additive companies I would use. I believe you are speaking of the Biotech oil protectant.

Lubegard I believe uses some esters in this product. I would use a Lubegard product with confidence. But it is pricey to use during every oil change $10-15 a bottle.
quote:
Enoch yes our good friends from Synlube. I realize the majority of additives are unnecessary. Lubegard is a quality company who's products I have faith in.

As mentioned Dr. Landis with Lubegard, is world reknowned in his field. Lubegards transmission products, and power steering pump additive have a very good reputation.

Take Care,
Nuke

If you are using Lubegard or other additives then your motor oil of choice isn`t doing its job. Switch to Synlube and your need for Lubegard or any other additive will disappear.
quote:
Well Robert I would never state that I know more than the 'PHD' formulators. But DR. Phillip S. Landis the founder of the LXE technology probably did. He was also involved in the formulation of a product you know more about.

That product was called MOBIL 1. Why don't you look him up. He was what some may call famous in the oil industry.

Like I mentioned in my opinion, Lubegard is one of the few products I would trust in my vehicle. Techron, SL1, or MMO would be a few others..

Next time do a little research, before you flame this company...You might find out they have a good reputation in the automotive industry.

Well put. It is on a short list of additives I'd use, along with MMO, RL Break in Oil additive, Lubro Moly MoS2, and Schaeffers #132.

AD
RobertC: I agree there is nothing wrong with being skeptical...I prefer to think for myself and not follow a 'herd' mentality.

Miro and the rest of his 'personalities' were over the top in the misinformation they spread. I am surprised they were allowed to get away with it for so long.

Would be interested in any further info on Dr. Landis you may discover...Please share.

That said I continue to have faith in Lubegard as they seem to be just one of perhaps a few additive companies that actually employ research chemists to develop and enhance there products.

Thanks,
Nuke
quote:
Originally posted by inHaliburton:
Under what circumstances would one use Lubegard if one uses a quality synthetic oil?

Thanks.

inHaliburton.....That is a very good question I expect you will get no answer.

However, your insight is correct that a high quality synthetic like a group IV/V 100% PAO would not need anything added to it.

After all of the information I have given on these threads regarding the benefits of top notch synthetics........the naysayers revert right back to using expensive additives that are used to prop up lower end oils further reinforcing what I was saying all along......the cheaper lower end oils are lacking in quality. Go figure with their logic!
Last edited by captainkirk
quote:
Enoch yes our good friends from Synlube. I realize the majority of additives are unnecessary.

Most authorities, and all oil manufacturers state that additives are not recommended. Since you use use Lubegard, how about enlightening the masses as to its benefits, why you add it to your oil, and under what conditions we should add it to our oil?

quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
Unless you do use the S thing. Eek

Additives are completely unnecessary and are NOT recommended by the manufacturer to "S thing" users!
The only area where It would seem that LUBEGARD might be endorsed is in the arena of AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID regarding SHUDDER with the torque converter lockup clutch and other issues like foaming,friction and acids.

The real solution to adding an additive to ATF.......is to changed out the worn tired ATF with premium synthetic ATF when needed. Lubegard has been shown to help with persistent transmission shudder... even with new fluid in some cases. So...uses lubegard when you do a flush for best results, and install lubegard in new atf fluid if you think it's needed.

lUBEGARD ATF ADDITIVE is endorsed as a stop-gap alternative measure to boosting sup-par new, or used TIRED fluid. New synthetic ATF/flush is always best.

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-11...ion+Fluid+Protectant

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-23...Instant+Shudder+Fixx

This is the top lubegard product....ain't cheap though.......about 20 bucks a bottle,large cars/suv's need two.....ouch!

http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-11...ersal+ATF+Protectant

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/PlatinumUniversalATF.pdf

I see no real endorsements in the arena regarding engine oil......only with ATF as per the above links!

lUBEGARD also is marketed as Dr.tranny instant shudder fix as shown above...and it does work well for that purpose when used in ATF...even new synthetic fluid sometimes will benefit if shudder persists.

Most people I know who have shudder issues had to have transmission work done under warranty........and the shudder came back.

The fuel economy pressure being put on the automotive industry is forcing the use of smaller/compact transmissions and torque converter clutch packs that lead to the shudder issues. The Dr tranny instant shudder fix can help or at least reduce shudder if your lucky.

V8's seem to have less if any shudder issues because of beefier components used throughout the drive train and a smoother running engine.

This has been my personal experience having owned V8's and V6's. The V6's all had the dreaded shudder.......and the V8's....had none.

Kirk
Last edited by captainkirk
quote:
Hi Capt., yes, no response yet. Is anybody home? Smile

I'm just curious why someone who uses a top-quality synthetic oil would feel the need to use an additive. Sludge maybe?

I almost feel like saying that those cleaver people who are intelligent enough to use Synlube know that they do not need to use any additives whatsoever! But I'll retrain...

People use LG oil additive because many of them had such great experiences with their transmission additives they figure they'd give it a try. It is made by a legit reputable company. Not like some so called expensive oils & additives making ridiculous claims.

AD
quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:
quote:
Hi Capt., yes, no response yet. Is anybody home? Smile

I'm just curious why someone who uses a top-quality synthetic oil would feel the need to use an additive. Sludge maybe?

I almost feel like saying that those cleaver people who are intelligent enough to use Synlube know that they do not need to use any additives whatsoever! But I'll retrain...

People use LG oil additive because many of them had such great experiences with their transmission additives they figure they'd give it a try. It is made by a legit reputable company. Not like some so called expensive oils & additives making ridiculous claims.

AD

Good answer. It will fly over the head of anyone who confuses using synlube with being intelligent however.

Here, I don't see seither of the two saying to use synlube in a truck. Or say they should either. https://forums.noria.com/eve/fo...16604995/m/856108134

Strange considering the statement you quoted.
Last edited by trajan
quote:
When the owner of the company 'CLAIMS' it's blending facilities are in Mercury, NV.

How can you call it credible? They shot themselves in the foot with that 'CLAIM'

Well, the owner of the company claims he isn't. Even though he claimed he was for years on the other site.

Makes one wonder.
Link copied to your clipboard.