Skip to main content

Read our primer articles on Grease Guns and Oil Sight Glasses.

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I wouldn't recommend "making your own" grease. It would be better to get a grease with the correct viscosity from the start that has been properly formulated for the task at hand. If your looking for some "splash effect" then NGLI #2 is probably to thick unless it's in a very hot environment. It sounds like your looking for a semi-fluid grease, something in the NGLI #0 or #00 range. The NGLI #00 is similar to a very thick gear oil. Put some in a cup and tip it on it's side and it will begin to run out of the cup.

My suggestions would be either Millennium 2200 or Takilube, both which come in NGLI #0 and #00 (the more 0's the thinner the grease). I'm not sure how your applying the grease but the Takilube is available in caulking tubes as well as regular pail and drum containers. The caulking tubes make hand application very easy. I would also recommend the Takilube in very dirty environments as that is what it is designed for, that being exposed gears, dipper stick and rack's as well as chains and cables.

In any case I wouldn't suggest formulating your own by mixing grease and gear oil, the properties of the resulting blend will be unknown to you until it is to late.
Hello
It is a not good idea. The serious unequal mixture(mixing) in a closed system, putting in risk the mechanism. In the stops of the mechanism made separation of fat and oil. For opened mechanisms better fats NLGI 2 or NLGI 3 with based oil high viscosity. But in system gear´s closed opereted slow revolution and big charges better greases EP-DEPENDING VELOCITY OF THE SYSTEM- NLGI 0, 00, 000.
www.lubricantesparamantenimiento.blogspot.com
Link copied to your clipboard.