Noria Corporation    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Lubrication  Hop To Forums  Industrial Lubrication    Specific Heat of Lubricating oil
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Specific Heat of Lubricating oil
 Login/Join

Level 1 - 1 to 50 posts
posted
Would anyone happen to know where I can find a graph showing Specific Heat as a function of temperature and viscosity for lubricating oil?
thanks
b

Posts: 1 | Location: dallas | Registered: Thu April 08 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 3 - 101 to 250 posts
posted Hide Post
Why do you need the information, what do you want to achieve with it for which application?

Posts: 122 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: Sat March 06 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bryan,
There is/was a book by Exxon called Tables of Useful Information that had some details regarding this type of information. However that was more geared towards oil as a fuel and used the density and viscosity as a determiner. The problem with this is when you start looking at lubricants that get their specific gravity and their viscosity in part from their additave packages this then would have a significent impact in trying to determine the anticipated output from a product. The other issue is that the calculations are also based on total product usage at optimal conditions. So there is going to be some losses even when there is some viscosity blending going on. You would probably be better of taking this question to a conbustion engineering group. Here's one to look at.
http://www.eng-tips.com/gthreadminder.cfm/lev2/26/lev3/74/pid/610

regards.......

Posts: 111 | Location: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: Mon February 16 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 1 - 1 to 50 posts
posted Hide Post
You've asked a very general question that does not have an easy straight forward answer as Alan has stated.

If you could be a little bit more specific with your problem, I might be able to give some answers.

What you have asked would be specific to the type of lubricant adn specific to the viscosity grade.

In general, with hydrocarbon based oils, specific heat will increase with an increase in temperature and slightly decrease with a more viscous version of the same oil type.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Thu April 15 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 1 - 1 to 50 posts
posted Hide Post
hello,
I need the specific heat of ISO VG32 oil at 160F
for calculating the max. temperature drop through a cooler knowing its heat rejection rate.
I will be thankful if you can also provide the relation between specific heat and viscosity of a fluid.

Regards
Ganesh

Posts: 2 | Registered: Fri June 12 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gani,

you can use this formula:

CP at T = 4.19*((0.402+0.00081*T)/D^0.5)

CP at T: Specific Heat @ constant P (kJ/kg.K)
T : Temperature ( C )
D : Density at 15 C (g/cm3)

Find the density @ T, and then calculate with ASTM D 1298 to find Density @ 15 C

Refference:
Schmierstoffe„“Wissensspeicher Tribotechnik“ – VEB Fachbuchverlag Leipzig

You can also contact your Oil Vendor who concern on Heat Transfer Oil to get the exact property

regards,

Nurudin

Posts: 121 | Location: Jakarta - Indonesia and/or Jubail - Saudi | Registered: Mon December 08 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 1 - 1 to 50 posts
posted Hide Post
Nurudin,
Thanks a lot for answering my question.I was able to find the density at 15C from supplier catalog.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Fri June 12 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post