Noria Corporation    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Lubrication  Hop To Forums  Industrial Lubrication    Grease for Small Power Tool Gear Case ---
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grease for Small Power Tool Gear Case ---
 Login/Join

Level 1 - 1 to 50 posts
posted
Grease for Small Power Tool Gear Case ---
I work in shop where we are rebuilding power hand tools. Currently we are rebuidling some circular saws and hand drills. What grease would be appropriate for the gear case of these.

Thanks
irjonny@yahoo.com

Posts: 2 | Registered: Fri November 28 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 3 - 101 to 250 posts
posted Hide Post
Looks like no one has answered you yet so I'll give it a swing. Considering the application I would look for a grease with a good oil separation rating. Since this is more or less a sealed for life application you don't want the grease drying out prematurely. A good EP grease should work fine. I have found Calcium 12-Hydroxysterate base greases to hold up rather well in applications like this. PTFE, Moly or both as a additive in the grease wouldn't hurt either. It would provide extra protection considering the lack of re-lubrication ease.

Michael Bialecki
Texas Refinery Corp.
www.trclubricants.com

Posts: 215 | Location: PA. USA | Registered: Mon September 18 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Selection of the grease stiffness seems an important issue.
General range is from semie fluid to stiff, i.e. NLGI 00 to 3.
Generally small gearboxes will require a softer grease 00,0 and 1, I see no reason why lithium base greases should not be suitable, and these are readily available. If high temperatures are expected then synthetic oil and high melting point complex greases available from most suppliers.

Posts: 112 | Location: Cheshire UK | Registered: Tue April 12 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Level 1 - 1 to 50 posts
posted Hide Post
This sounds like excellent advice. Thank you. Are the Calcium 12-Hydroxysterate base greases a speciality item or would they be readily available through a local retailer in the Atlanta, GA area?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Fri November 28 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Calcium 12-Hydroxysterate greases are available from many manufacturers. We manufacture a couple of them.

Michael Bialecki
Texas Refinery Corp.
www.trclubricants.com

Posts: 215 | Location: PA. USA | Registered: Mon September 18 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take into account that powertools might have plastic gears, if that is the case you will have to select one that is compatible to the type of material of the gears. If it is metal-metal, then it is OK with a mineral based grease.

According to my experience, an NLGI 1 grade will be adequate, on one side they are stiffer, but powertools dont operate always in the same position and that helps to move the grease around. Too soft greases tend to separate more oil and that oil might bleed out through the seals.

Any manufacturer has lithium greases NLGI1 grade, in GA: Halco in Norcross.

Posts: 122 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: Sat March 06 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post