Skip to main content

Reply to "5w20"

The answer is...it depends. What oils are we talking about! What temps does it see? How long do you keep cars?

Motorcraft 5W20 is really good stuff, in fact probably better than any of the other dino 5W20's out there. It turns in great used oil anaylis reports in many applications.

If a mercury dealer isn't using 5W20, I would be VERY suspicious. First off, the EPA would be pretty irritated about that, as the letter posted earlier implies that dealers are required to supply the same oil as used for mileage calculations. Second, I would be suspicous that they have a bunch of ancient 5W30 they are trying to unload. I'd want to know exactly what 5W30 they were using, and also make certain that you get actual Motorcraft filters.

5W30 won't void your warantee, in my oppinion it is wise to stick to the reccomended OCI though. Dino 5W30 often shears down to about 20 in vicosity anyway, so I would probably run the motorcraft 5W20.

If you're changing at the manufacturer's reccomended OCI, and you plan on keeping the car for 10 years or less, I would run the motorcraft 5W20 and Motorcraft filers. If you see temp extremes, or simply want a better oil I'd run Mobil 1, probably in 5W30,(nothing wrong with 0W20, but Wal-Mart sells the 5W30 for $18-19/5 qts).

Motorcraft's filters are an excellent value in Ford applications...they cost less than $3, and are very, very well built with media similar to a Purolator PureONE, a Wix style bypass, and a silcone ADBV.