Particle Count Data Point: P1 vs EaO
Another particle count data point.
I ran a Pure One filter for 4000 miles. I pulled an oil sample, then changed to an EaO filter without adding any new oil. I ran the EaO for 549 more miles and pulled the second sample.
IMPORTANT NOTE: IT LOOKS AS IF THE EaO SAMPLE MAY HAVE BEEN MISTAKENLY CONTAMINATED WITH ADDTIONAL DIRT BASED ON A HIGH SILICON READING.
(More Details at end of post.)
Viscosity: 16.0 cst
Oil type: Chevron Supreme 20w-50
* According to Butler Cat Lab the glycol test is extremely sensitive and may be a false positive.
** According to Lab the presence of water was low enough for a particle count to be taken. Water is counted as particles and will add to PC.
A laser type particle counter was used. (The lab did not dilute the samples for particle counting).
Vehicle is 1993 Geo Metro XFi. Total mileage at end of test was approx. 270,072.
Filters were extra large oversize: Purolator PL30001 and EaO 15.
Sampling procedure: Used rigid polyethylene tubing, otherwise the same as:
I think dirt contamination was introduced into the EaO sample possibly during the filter change due to wind blown dust (it took a while to pour oil from P1 filter into the EaO).
I don’t think contamination occurred during sampling because I believe this would have raised the particle count of the larger particles in the 50, 75, and 100 micron range as well as the smaller sizes. It looks to me as though the EaO filter removed these larger sizes before sampling.
Sorry about that. I got impatient and changed over to the EaO filter on a windy afternoon. Should have waited for a calm weekend morning, when I normally change oil.