Skip to main content

Reply to "API Mineral/Dino is not bad"

This is what I am talking about.

NEW STANDARDS ......the old didn't work well

Real world data is the best as described below using Dynos!! The old way of collecting data was not reliable!!!

GF-5 Issues
Most of the issues surrounding the coming GF-5 oil standard have to do with engineering test procedures that are obsolete or need to be changed. The current Sequence IV-B fuel economy test, which is done in a laboratory on a test bench, will have to be replaced with some type of engine dynamometer test that more accurately simulated real-world driving conditions. The new test procedure should be ready by early next year.

GF-5 may also require reducing phosphorous and sulfur even more to extend the life of the catalytic converter to 150,000 miles and beyond. Phosphorous and sulfur can contaminate the catalyst and reduce the life of the converter if the engine uses oil. But both of these ingredients are also important anti-wear agents, so the fear is that reducing phosphorous and sulfur too much may end up reducing the life of the engine itself.

There are already concerns that today’s levels of phosphorous may be too low for older pushrod engines with flat tappet camshafts. Camshafts with flat-bottom lifters generate a lot more friction between the cam lobes and lifters than roller cams with roller lifters. Consequently, cam lobe wear in older engines may be a problem if the oil does not contain adequate levels of anti-wear agents, or if the oil is not changed regularly.

IN SUM ............Motor oil may be developing more issues in the very near future(next year) then less issues. It's all about the EPA and environmental issues which is what led to all the motor oil sludge issues due to the emission systems on the cars choking down the engines ability to breathe and less than ideal oil formulations to deal with it!!

Now car engines will be dealing with wear and tear issues on this new standard.....besides the sludge issues. The sludge issues might be less...........but more wear on your engine is no better,and even worse!! Can you say, "look at my clean..worn out..almost new engine" !!!!

Let me guess.....when that happens you'll say....."bad engine"......."good oil"...."sue the automakers again for something the oil did" Well........you've been warned!!!

I won't have any issues because I will be using...............

High tech synthetic oils group IV/V with all the 'right stuff'......
Last edited by captainkirk