Skip to main content

Reply to "API Mineral/Dino is not bad"

quote:
Originally posted by inHaliburton:
quote:
Originally posted by Deltona_Dave:
quote:
Originally posted by Deltona_Dave:
I just pulled the rocker covers on my 2002 Craftsman Riding Mower/tractor (made by American yard Products AYP). Engine is a B&S 21.5 HP vertical shaft. Engine has 1200 plus hours on it. Never saw Synthetic OCI, except for one Mobil 1 top off. This old girl has had B&S oil factory fill, AAP 20w-50, GTX, Warren convenience store oil, etc. All has met API SL minimum. Last change was Rotella 15W-40. Current fill is Delvac 1300. Filters were either B&S or MotorCraft 400S.
Here is a link of the engine.

Remember, this is an air cooled Briggs Intek V-twin full pressure lube. It sees 25+ hours a month in very dusty conditions.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...=1861000#Post1861000

Dave

Capt. Kirk, Prove to me about Sludge again......

This thing has only had dino (mineral oil) on the average of every 100 hours.

Dave

Interesting read. But does not mean that by using dino oils you won`t have sludge issues.

If you use a good dino oil and change when the engine manufacturer says to, there should not be a sludge issue. A properly designed engine, will not allow oil to pool in places and allow it or the contaminates to cook/coke. My B&S mower engine has huge oil galleries. These guys have been building small engines for over 80 years, they know what they are doing. They also know that most homeowners/commercial lawn services are not going to follow their suggested OCI and oil grade recommendations. In air cooled engines, the oil is used as a cooland also. Since I follow the Manufacturers OCI, I don't have a "sludge" problem. Nowdays, most "dino" oils can meet or exceed the GL-5 and API SN certifications, even though they are not going to be required until 10-2010.

Fancy synthetic oils are fine for vehicles, but in OPE, a dino oil is just fine. I have confidence in dino oils, and am going back to using Pennzoil Yellow bottle in my Titan and the wife's Altima. The new PYB will probably go 7500 miles without a problem.

Dave