Skip to main content

Reply to "API Mineral/Dino is not bad"

I did not clean up the motor as claimed, although I did run a different HDMO before pulling the covers.

I have figured out the oil control ring is wearing, as the engine has over 1200 hours on an engine that was designed for about 5-600 hours max. It is a consumer grade engine, not a commercial engine. When I get time, I will tear it down and rebuild it. Most of the time when engines have bad rings, they smoke pretty good, as oil is getting past the rings and into the combustion chambers. This one does not smoke, except for black smoke on choked start (running rich). B&S recommends their "warranty certified hd 30wt oil" nothing on bottle to suggest it is syn/blend/conventional. Burns thru it like no tomorrow.

Yes, mower is rusting, as I wash it off after every job (dog poop in tires mainly). I also pull the shrouds and clean grass and dirt from cooling fins several times during the season.

Kirk, how many hours you have on your Briggs? In FL from Mar. til October, grass grows so fast, you can watch it. I mow 2X a week. Sharpen blades at least twice a month. Bahia grass and sandy soil erode the edge and sails quickly.

My main problem is ethanol gas destroying the carburetors on my 2 strokers...

dave