Skip to main content

Reply to "Are Viscosity Index Improver Polymers all that bad?"

Abus, Your comments pertain to my personal example. My first two paragraphs are open to further discussion on an "all else equal basis." As for my personal example:

I ran a Valvoline 10w40 Maxlife high mileage 10w40 rated SL and now am running the SJ Valvoline Durablend 15w40 (a PCEO). The Durablend has more synthetic than the Maxlife and a different type, and the MSDS's indicate the remainder on both oils is Group I, but am not totally sure on that. The 10w40 held its viscosity per a 3000 mile UOA and over 4000 miles did not really deviate significantly from the typical oil pressures. The Oil pressure sender appears to be shortly after the oil filter and so should not be affected by filter brand. I will note I had a Wix on during the 10w40 and now have a (likely freer flowing) Fleetguard on with the 15w40. I am not really worried and the truck runs fine and I am sure will continue to. Just curious more or less. Actually am more interested in the generic example of my first two paragraphs. Thanks