Skip to main content

Reply to "Atlas Copco Roto-H compressor oil?"

Dipen,

To lube salesmen like me you are an Angel. Many of the lube manfacturers have excellent products for many applications. Unfortunately, some of the OEM's become hurdles in upgradation of the market. They do not recognise the new development and do not want to work hand-in-hand with lube supplier. Thier logic possibly is "How can this two-bit lube chaps tell me which oil to use. My equipment cost fifty times what an oil costs, I will decide on the oils." Today many engine manufacturers still recommend API CC, CD oils and Mono grades as well. Fortunately heavy advertising and promotion by oil companies have resulted in an increase of CF4 oils sales. CI4 oils are not heard of as yet.

The other problem we face in India is spurious lubricants. In interior part of India, fakes of Castrol and other brands are sold openly. I have personally handled a number of "product failures". The lab analysis in such case have shown 'product not matching Castrol specs.' Query reveals that due to stock out oil was bought from dealer. Castrol records do not show any sales to the dealer. All this dilutes the Castrol brand.

As they are supported by influential and corrupt means, big corporates like Castrol have given up. They now use modern packaging technology to fight spurious products.

It is against this background that OEM lubes are a blessing, albiet at a higher price.

Hussam Adeni