Skip to main content

Reply to "Best Oil Filter"

There are excellent independant studies of filter Flow and pore size avalible, so merely depending on manufacturer's information seems silly. Also, the SAE tests are what you want to look for in manufacturer's information. It is worth noting that A $1.97 Walmart Supertech has a better SAE J806 resault than the $4 Fram sitting right next to it!

It really pays to disassemble a few of the particular filter that you're interested in, or at least look for pictures of the same size filter. As pointed out over and over at "bobistheoilguy", most filter manufacturers vary through their lines as to how much media they use, what type of bypass, etc.

In general, Fram's are radically over priced for what they are, and the tough/doublegaurd models are not up to extended drains. The may, or may not suffer from poor ADBV's and low area depending on the model.

I don't know of anything particuularly good or bad about the Amsoil filter, I assume that they are very good, but pretty expensive. I know that it is a Baldwin/Hastings filter, the media is similar to the Baldwin HPG line, and the only ones that I've seen have nitrile rubber ADBV's, which is not exactly a plus.

Of the commonly avalible, over the counter filters, the WIX (Napa Gold), PureOne, AC Delco, and Motorcraft filters are all good choices. For short drains, or just economy applications, the SuperTech is a great value.

I'm personally using two SuperTech filters, one Mobil 1, and one Motorcraft. All perform well, but I would say that the motorcraft, in the FL400s applications is the best value with a Silcone ADBV, good media, and WIX style construction.