Skip to main content

Reply to "Brake Fluid - will it absorb air?"

Kestas, thank you for taking the time to answer.
Let me add some more now that a track of thought is established.
I have read about pressurizing the system as a remedy for spongy brakes. No one has stated why this works. After reading one person’s explanation that it worked for no known reasons, I decided to try it just to see for myself. I did not believe it would work, but it took very little effort to wedge the pedal down and try. The next day the brakes were fine. I do believe something happened and I do not know what. I have only done this once and now I am very curious to find the scientific reason. I would like very much to know for sure.
I can add this. If you are correct and this is similar to the bends, all the air that is released from solution is then dispersed over the entire internal area. If this is true, then a large majority of it will be able to escape via the brake vent in the reservoir. Not all of it will migrate back to the original high spot, but some will. I should repeat this process a few more times and see if there is more improvement. I’ll do this tonight.
If this is true air is compressed into the liquid and then released, what happens to the moisture that was in that bubble of air? I’d venture to say some of it is captured for good in the new fluid. So the new fluid is now compromised and another flush is in order. This time I will not flush it dry dry but rather just push or draw fresh fluid through to avoid trapped air.
Your thoughts?
Last edited by scottmitchell