Skip to main content

Reply to "Brake Fluid - will it absorb air?"

Saturday afternoon I reapplied pressure wedging the pedal down. Today at noon I released the pedal and it was firmer. I doubt there would be anymore to gain. It feels as good as it can get. The brake engages at half inch of pedal travel and is fully engaged at 1-inch. The pedal bottoms at 2-inches.
The best way to describe the results is by performance. After bleeding with vacuum suction the brakes worked well with a long pedal throw -- about 3/4s of full travel.
After applying pressure the first night the pedal throw was about mid-way with stronger stopping power.
After applying pressure the second night the pedal throw is as short as it can be and is very responsive. It’s far better than I am used to.
I really do not have an explanation as to why this worked, but the results were surprising. I can only surmise the air is absorbed into the fluid under pressure. When the pressure is removed the gas leaves the solution over a broader area and much of it is able to escape out the system’s vent. Some of it returns to the original location. Maybe some it stays absorb in the solution as each solution has a saturation limit. New brake fluid may be dryer and is thus able to absorb more.
What I write here is only my best guess as to what may have happened – I really don’t know.