Skip to main content

Reply to "Can I rely on dielectric constant?"

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
Gentlemen,
You might just as well base your oil change intervals by the color of your oil. Based on expert advice cited, your proposed analysis methob does not apply to engine oil. SUbmit a sample to a reputable oil analysis operation. YOur oil is not only an essential part of you engine system it is also an indicator of what is going on in that system. An oil analysis not only tells you if your oil is still up to specs applied to your particular vehicle. It will also tell you the condition of that system. trace metals and chemicals not originally present in the original formula will allow the analysis co. to make a very good educated statement on what is wearing out, leaking, or overheating in your engine. Dielectric in Motor oils is an extremely small bit of an overall well maintained preventative maintaince program.
Your question was "Can I rely on dielectric constant?" answer: NO, Rely on Oil Analysis.

Absolutely correct! Dielectric test is intended and reliable only for insulating fluids. I would never entrust fate of my equipment or a vehicle to a method easily affected by many factors which remain unknown to users of this method. If I would decide to be reckless, I would rather adopt “judging oil quality by its color” than rely on dielectric test. I am joking, because I find both approaches extremely laughable. However, everyone has a right to destroy their equipment the way they want it.