Skip to main content

Reply to "DEXOS VS GF-5 LUBE STANDARD"

This is Deltona_dave/trajens.......""""STORY"""""

I have an 8 year old Craftsman (AYP) heavy duty lawn tractor that is developing some sludge/varnish. Last season, it was filled with Rotella-T 15W-40 HDEO. Well, it don't like thick oil. It burned it at about 8 oz. per week (10-12 hours). Now that I am a BITOG'er, I want to clean her up and thought about this method:

Run PP for a month or Ultra, then fill with GC (seems to be used in a lot of OPE around here). I have a couple of B&S filters (a lot of money for a dinky filter), but after searching, I have found cheaper alternatives (super techs, purolators, etc) Wix, Fram, and OEM are just way pricey for a monthly change out. I am just concerned that the alternatives have higher bypass pressures than OEM (12-14 vs 8 for OE). Think the Briggs will care?

Here in Central Florida, Mowing season is 6 months, and from May-Sept, temps are close to 100 with 90% humidity! Tough on air cooled engines.

Any suggestions on oil selection or filters?

I want to keep this thing running as long as I can, as it is a good mower and tugger for a cart, aerator, and spreader.

Thanks,
Dave

AND NOW,FROM THE SAME PERSON(DELTONA_DAVE)...........A VERY DIFFERENT """STORY"""..........VERY STRANGE INDEED....VERY TELLING TO SAY THE LEAST

I just pulled the rocker covers on my 2002 Craftsman Riding Mower/tractor (made by American yard Products AYP). Engine is a B&S 21.5 HP vertical shaft. Engine has 1200 plus hours on it. Never saw Synthetic OCI, except for one Mobil 1 top off. This old girl has had B&S oil factory fill, AAP 20w-50, GTX, Warren convenience store oil, etc. All has met API SL minimum. Last change was Rotella 15W-40. Current fill is Delvac 1300. Filters were either B&S or MotorCraft 400S.
Here is a link of the engine.

Remember, this is an air cooled Briggs Intek V-twin full pressure lube. It sees 25+ hours a month in very dusty conditions.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/...=1861000#Post1861000

https://forums.noria.com/eve/fo...16604995/m/242104424

Dave
Last edited by captainkirk