Skip to main content

Reply to "electrostatic oil cleaning system"

Dear Mr. Dave,
Electrostatic Oil cleaning is most popular in Plastics industry. Cincinnati Milacron also make Electrostatic Liquid Cleaners- and they are a big name in Injection Moulding.
Electrostatic Oil cleaning is the best if not fastest method of cleaning oil to remove particles and sludge or varnish which filters can not remove. It is impartial to all particles and does not selectively charge particles, as someone has queried elsewhere in this forum. If you have solid particles as additives, like in Moly Sulfide dispersions, they may also be removed, If filters down to that size 4-5 microns are used they will also remove them.

The difference in filters and electrosatatic cleaners is their capacity, and ability to address smaller particles. Filters are cost effective up to 10 microns or so, and electrostatic cleaners are a one size fits all type device, where cost is not a function of particle size. Particles below 10 microns ar where electrostatic cleaners are more cost effective.

Regards,
Mukesh

quote:
Originally posted by Hymat Services:
quote:
Originally posted by Dipen:
Dear all,
I have recently come across some Japanese make Electrostatic oil cleaning system.I works on following principle:
Oil(contaminated) is passed through high voltage which charges the suspended dirt particles, and charged particles are pushed towards positive and negative electrodes. In the process contaminants get entrapped in collecter medium and thus all particles even of submicronic size is removed from oil.
Mainly used for any oil of less than 220 cst., specially popular in hydraulic oil case.
Now, the manufacturer claims that after cleaning the oil from this filtration system and adding 10% of fresh charge, same oil can be used for forever by repeating the same process.
Please let me know if somebody have come across this type of filtration system, and what would be the effect on oil after few repetetive cleaning cycles.As according to me after continuous use,depetion in additive package can't be make up by adding onle 10% of fresh charge.
Pl. give comments on any aspect of this particular system.

Regards

Dear Dipen

I have been offering Oil Cleaning Services to many Plastic Items manufacturing Units with Off Line Mechanical Filtration Unit fitted with Laser Particle Counter and it cleans the Oil up to required Oil Cleanliness level Automatically and prit out the report indicating Oil Cleanliness level before and After Filtration. This report indicates Particle Count of each range ( 5 to 15, 15 to 25, 25 to 50, 50 to 100 and > 100 ) and also indicates oil cleanliness level in terms of NAS / ISO.
As per my experience Electrostatically Oil Cleaning is normally known as Bleed and Feed Type Filtration. That means when you filter the Oil Additives are also removed along with contaminants and you need to replenish it. Unless you have a right source of this additive supplier you should not add such additive peckage with out full information. This may damage the Oil. I therefore strongly recommond you to use Mechanical Filters and get the Oil Cleanliness level within the prescribed Oil Cleanliness level only. Do not Polish the Oil.

V.S.Dave