Skip to main content

Reply to "How to choose between products?"

Thanks again for the reply. I see you have done your research on Maxima products and were able to find out about its additive package and make up. I'll do more reading into it for sure. But that's where I run into trouble trying to decide with the limited availability of information. I also agree about Group III synthetics being a good oil but if I was to spend the same money (and again limited access to information) I usually lean towards the Group IV's. I know I'm preaching to the choir with this stuff but want to throw it out there for discussion. Hydrolysis was a concern with Esters for me and not knowing what ester it is for compatibility reasons but if they 'design' it for that application then I would have to say it is ok to use.

I see it comes down to research so maybe this is how I should have asked this question; 'What are some good websites (or other media) for information on oils to make good comparative decisions?'

Amsoil talks about having a TBN of 10, is that good/better compared to brand X, or is it average and used as a marketing tool. I see they like to advertise 4 ball test and that there is a lot of discussion on that in this forum. These are things I would like to find out and make better decisions. When it comes down to it they all will perform but I want to start out with something I have full confidence in and get the most for my dollar and stick with it.

Thanks again for the help. I love reading your replies so keep'em coming.