Skip to main content

How to choose between products?

I wanted to ask how most of you come to a decision on an oil brand/product with the limited information available; especially for your personal vehicles and recreational toys. I am sure most of you have been the industry for some time now and have connections that increases your knowledge and awareness to certain products but for the average person it is very limited and of couse manufacturers do not have to publish any information. Here's an example of a 'dilema' I am facing right now.

I purchased a new Polaris atv this past winter and the recommended oil is a 0W-40 Polaris Synthetic which runs around $8.00/qt. I do not know who makes the oil but I will assume (again limited knowledge) that it is a Group III product. I know for around $8.00/qt I can either get the Mobil 1 4T 10W40 or the Amsoil AFF 0W40, which are both PAO based lubes. I'm sure both products will work fine but I just like to know what I get for my dollar other than fancy advertising. The atv is subject to short trips (sometimes loaded), idling, cold weather, and can sit in the garage for up to a month before operation again. These are all factors for increased oil changeouts but I would like to find something that has the most protection for this kind of application.

Any insight or info as to how you decide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike
Original Post