Skip to main content

Reply to "I think I'm sticking with Redline"

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:
Tim, I tried Amsoil, the family tried Amsoil, you can pitch till you get tired, you won't be selling me on it again.
I'm not pitching anything in this thread. I am merely trying to clear up some myths, half truths and untruths that have shown up in this thread.

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:As I said, you won't sell me on the stuff, sorry guy.
You don't have to be sorry. That was never my intention. I'm just correcting the mis-information that was presented.

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1: I wonder how many people ran those filters they were redesigning, these:
Amsoil announces it is re-designing, re-engineering the few smaller affected filters. EAO 9, 10, 13, 57. They aren't up to par for the interval they were sold for. Amsoil rep Gary Allen speaks about it in a thread on Bitog. I wonder how many of those engines life expectancy was cut down as a result of using those filters for extended drain, then having an oil light come on because it is clogged up? The good news is no one will ever know, that should keep Amsoil off the hook for now. I'll bet Amsoil says no harm was done.
AMSOIL says that only in extremely rare occasions did any problem occur. I've sold hundreds of those particular filters and don't know of any that caused an oil light to come on. And it only seems to be a problem if you drove around a lot after the oil pressure light comes on, which of course you shouldn't do anyway. There are a lot of UOA's on these vehicles and filters and I have not seen one that indicated a problem. I think AMSOIL did the right thing by no longer offering those filters for those applications until they can investigate further and redesign the filters. You can read the latest update at https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/...vals.aspx?zo=1181889 .

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:Lets not forget: Amsoil has 2 oil 'lines' - their APIcertified 'XL' oils, and their non-API-certified oils - ASL, ATM, SSO...etc... I'd rather not tempt fate using their "top of the line" non API certified oils in a vehicle under warranty.

AD
And yet you use Red Line, that has no API certified oil?
And AMSOIL has never voided any factory warranty in 38 years, and comes with it's own warranty if it ever does. Seems pretty safe to me.
Last edited by timvipond