Skip to main content

Reply to "I think I'm sticking with Redline"

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
There is no doubt that Amsoil makes some great products, there trans fluid, diff fluid, and powersteering fluid are great products, but I have a hard time believing any of there tests, I see them only posting data that is going to make there products look favorable.
Their comparison testing is done by certified independent labs using standard ASTM test methods which can be easily reproduced by their competitors. Yet none of them ever challenge the data in 38 years. They would if they could. They have likely run their own tests and see the same results that AMSOIL publishes. That is why I believe the tests. I wish the other oil companies would do similar test comparisons. I think this forces all to make better products and informs the consumer. Much better than talking engines, sludge falling from the sky, robots adding oil, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:As far as being a dealer, it seems that anyone can become a dealer, it would be nice if Amsoil would give some sort of test for anyone that wants to be a dealer, how can you tell if what they are saying is correct,
Actually, they do if you want to become T1 certified as I am. They also have to approve and authorize your dealer website. They provide lots of online training, 7,000 pages of technical information on the website, and formal classroom training.
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear: I also see some Amsoil Dealers pushing other products and overhyping Amsoil. I also have a big problem with any Amsoil Dealer who is not really using there products, and instead they are going down to Wal-Mart and using the cheapest oil they can get there hands on.
What other products do AMSOIL dealers push? Wix, Donaldson, Mann-Hummel, NGK, Mother's, Injen and Trico are business partners with AMSOIL, so maybe you are referring to those? AMSOIL dealers are free to sell or use any product they want. I've exclusively used AMSOIL products since I became a Preferred Customer 7 years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:I also do not buy Amsoil being an extended drain oil, the only time you can extend your OCI is if you are doing alot of highway driving and not doing the short trip soccer mom thing. I saw a Synthetic Oil Life Study where Amsoil motor oil's started to thicken up after 7000 miles. I believe Amsoil is catering to people who just do not want to do the normal oil changes, and in the long run many people who do extended drains will pay the price.
. Some oil companies only warranty their oil for up to 3,000 to 4,000 miles or 3 or 4 months, where AMSOIL warrants theirs for 7500 to 35,000 miles and 6 months to a year. And for severe non-highway mileage 7500 to 17,500 miles of soccer mom driving which is also extending the OCI. AMSOIL has had their extended drain oils for 38 years and has never caused an oil related failure, and offers a free warranty if it ever does. That's enough proof for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:I do not buy that Amsoil 100% Synthetic Oil can go 25,000 miles, I have seen UOA's on this oil where the oil was shot by 18,000 miles.
Could you please post? Was it the first time the oil was used, was it over 12 months, was severe driving involved?

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:There was a member on BITOG who ran Amsoil 15,000 miles and his valvetrain was all incrusted with junk, he regrets leaving Amsoil in for that long of a time. He tried arx to clean the valvetrain up, and nothing happened, so now he is trying a product called Kreen.
Did he use the recommended oil and follow the recommended oil change interval? Did he have a mechanical issue that was involved such as a coolant leak, faulty emissions system, was he using oil additives, the proper oil filter for 15,000 miles, did he contact AMSOIL corporate?

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:Motor Oil's are changing again since many will have to meet the new GF-5 rating, I cannot take a chance on Amsoil meeting that spec. I have noticed that Amsoil will not clean up any deposits in an engine, but it will keep new deposits from forming, I base this on my observations from using there oil. We are now finding that oil's like Pennzoil Platinum do a better job in cleaning up an engine than Amsoil Motor Oil and they are cheaper too.
AMSOIL has met all the specs they say they do for 38 years. And they warranty their oil should it not. What chance are you taking? AMSOIL cleaned up my 1997 Chevy Venture minivan when it suffered from the infamous intake manifold gasket leak. It also cleaned up the oil sight glass on my BMW K1200LT. Where do you see that Pennzoil Platinum does a better job in cleaning up an engine than AMSOIL? This oil comparison https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1971.pdf shows Pennzoil Platinum did worse than AMSOIL in all 6 ASTM tests, including TFOUT, volatility, TBN which all indicate better cleaning ability than Pennzoil Platinum.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear: I believe this whole Amsoil Dealership Pyramid Scheme probably adds about $2.00 to every quart of motor oil that Amsoil sells, I think Amsoil would be better served by having potential buyers visit there website, place there order, and then it can be shipped out from the nearest Amsoil Distribution Center. All of the information about Amsoil Products is on there website. Amsoil could also sell there oil via special order from places like CarQuest, where I ordered my Redline SI.
What is this Pyramid Scheme you talk about? Pyramid Schemes have been illegal for quite some time and AMSOIL has been in business for 38 years, with no complaints from any government or consumer agency that investigates pyramid schemes. Where do you get this $2 a quart figure? Potential buyers DO visit the AMSOIL website and place their orders and ship it from the nearest AMSOIL distribution center. I have a CarQuest store that has carried AMSOIL, as do a few of my NAPA and O'Reilly stores. Lot's of choices. I provide AMSOIL to nearly 200 retail stores in the US and Canada.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear: Some of these Amsoil Dealers are giving the company a bad name, and they are bad mouthing other oil's and pushing certain Amsoil Products over what is best for there customers, alot of these dealers know hardly anything about the product and they do not let the product sell themselves, and some of them will say anything to get your money out of your hands so they can put it in there pocket.
The vast majority of the AMSOIL dealers I know do not fit in this category. Actually, I am not aware of any that do. And those that do probably won't be in business very long.
Last edited by timvipond