Skip to main content

Reply to "I think I'm sticking with Redline"

quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
Tim, you said above "No vehicle manufacturer requires API approved oils", but that post of mine you mentioned..."Only use oils “Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the American Petroleum Institute (API)."
My statement is true. The manufactures only mention using certified oils to help the consumer pick an oil, but it is not required as long as they meet API specs. You can read more at http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2488.pdf . Ask any vehicle manufacture if API certification is a requirement, and they will tell you it is not. Just that it has to meet the specs.

quote:
Originally posted by Trajan: There is even a drawing in the manual of what to look for.

So yes, a car mfg is telling you to use API certed oil.
. Yes, they can tell you that, and they can even tell you brands to use, but it is not a warranty requirement. Here is another good read: https://www.amsoil.com/dealer/fearfactor/API.pdf .

quote:
Originally posted by Trajan: The manual is very specific, at least for the Stang. For the V6, 5w30 only. Use API certed oil. For the 8, it's 5w20 only.
You really have to look up each car for it's specific oil requirement on the AMSOIL website for the manufacturer's and AMSOIL's recommendations. They change from time to time. Ford used to recommend 5w30 for my old Fords, and then switched to recommending 5w20 for them. And AMSOIL has never had a warranty repair declined do to the recommended AMSOIL in the engine.

quote:
Originally posted by Trajan: For my car, it's different. A specific weight isn't listed as it's a non ///M. But it has to be A3/B3 LL-01 under warranty. It can be 0w30, 5w30, 0w40. BMWNA has a very short list of oils for USA driven bimmers. So it's either Castrol, BMW label, Valvoline MST, or Mobil 1 while under warranty. Nothing else.

In the US and Canada, the consumer laws say that if a manufacture says only certain brands can be used, they have to provide them free of charge. The list is only a recommendation. Any oil that meets the manufacturers specs can be used. AMSOIL makes a European oil for many of those cars. You just look your car up on the website and see which oils AMSOIL recommends. AMSOIL has never voided any warranty in 38 years and the oil has never failed when used as recommended. And if it does, AMSOIL pays.