Skip to main content

Reply to "I think I'm sticking with Redline"

quote:
Originally posted by johnpr3:

Tim,

I think you are missing the concept of oil analysis. My statement isn't for or against AMSOIL service life. I was commenting more on the lab report and comments or recommendations by the lab. When one see's a viscosity drop like in the sample along with a drop in flash point, one has to wonder why that happened. My guess off the cuff would be fuel dilution. I would like to confirm that before I tried extending drains. When you see a drop in viscosity like that, wear metals might not show up for another oil change or two. Kind of a cause and effect. My guess is that AMSOILS technical deptartment would NOT recommend extending that oil, at least, not in writing. There are too many unknowns with regards to the one sample. Not to mention, no TBN or TAN testing. My opion is that the lab was reckless with their comments.
You can only expect so much from a $20 lab analysis. And since this is a highly modified car run hard at the dragstrip on weekends, he might be using fuel or fuel additives that might effect viscosity and flash point. Neither was enough to effect wear metals. Fuel dilution measured was low. First time oil analysis could include some lower viscosity/lower flash oil from the previous oil change which could skew the results. He could run it by AMSOIL and see what they think. But the analysis is 2 years old and he still raves about AMSOIL, so he seems not to have experienced any problems, so the Blackstone analysis seems to have been proven correct by the test of time.
Last edited by timvipond