Skip to main content

Reply to "I think I'm sticking with Redline"

15,000 mile OCI's on Mobil 1 ??? [Re: Steelers]
TimVipond

Loc: Sugar Land, TX Be sure to read Mobil 1 EP's fine print. If you are under warranty, they say to follow the manufactures OCI. If you drive under severe conditions (which are most people), follow the manufacturers OCI. The 15,000 miles (or 1 year whichever is first), only applies to cars out of warranty and for normal miles (does not include excessive idling, mostly short trips, dusty conditions, extreme temperatures, etc.). So the 15,000 mile oil change is really warranted for a pretty small percentage of vehicles.

Can I really go 15,000 miles before an oil cha [Re: sxg6]
TimVipond

Loc: Sugar Land, TX Be sure to read all the exceptions that Mobil 1 lists in their warranty.

"For vehicles covered by a warranty, follow the vehicle's oil life sensor or the oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual. Follow your owner's manual if the vehicle is operated in any of the following severe services: racing or commercial applications including taxis, limousines, etc.; frequent towing or hauling; extremely dusty or dirty conditions; or under excessive idling conditions."

Redline 10w30 Last for 18k miles? [Re: AlexSG]
TimVipond

Loc: Sugar Land, TX Ask Redline your question http://redlineoil.com/contact.asp , see what they say and let us know.

Their site says "How often should I change my Red Line oil?

It depends on how you drive. If you do a lot of city driving or low speed/low frequency driving, we recommend oil changes at 7500 miles. Vehicles that see more highway driving can go a maximum of 15,000 to 18,000 miles with an oil filter change in between. Modern filter technology and the latest, clean-burning fuels have reduced the solids that contaminate oil, so frequent filter changes aren't usually necessary. "
Sounds like you do mostly city driving so the 7500 mile limit might apply. Or have an oil analysis done. I'm not sure Redline offers a warranty for extended oil change intervals. When in doubt, change it out.

And to BITOG half way around the world!

Tim, I found a few posts from Bitog where you are saying that extended oil drains are really for a small percentage of people, if you are doubting that Mobil 1 or Redline can go 15,000 miles, then the same goes for Amsoil. Almost all of your posts on the other board were about Amsoil, I saw your last post where you got into it with a member, the thread was about a guy that had Varnish or other nasty stuff in his Valvetrain from using Motorcraft Oil, and you basically come in and say well if he had been using Amsoil he would not have had these problems. Amsoil motor oil's may keep an engine clean but from my observations I have not seen them have the ability to clean up any junk that is already in the engine.