Skip to main content

Reply to "I think I'm sticking with Redline"

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Vipond:
quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:

Bear have a look at Honda's or Toyota's 0w20 oils, especially if you are looking for good protection during start up. The Amsoil 0W20 40*C number is not all that good. Edge, Toyota, and Honda 0w20 blow it away.
Why do you think the AMSOIL number is not all that good? How does Edge, Toyota, and Honda blow it away? Their viscosity is a little lower, thus "thinner" and has less film strength to separate moving parts. Do you often start your car at 40C (104F)? And it only sees 40C for only a few seconds as the engine warms up.

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1: Something else that is interesting about the 4 ball test is they use a different set of numbers when they test the SSO, different temps and different speeds IIRC check the site you'll see. This server isn't allowing me to log into Amsoi's site. Have a look at the 4 ball test for SSO and ASM you'll see what I mean.
So?

The warming up process takes about 20 minutes during winter Tim. Sometimes a few times a day, for many drivers, that is when the most wear occurs. That thicker when cold oil is not as good as you think it is. You should know that though. But you have to do your best to push Amsoil, leaving out some important facts.

There's a million mile Ford Tim, running cheap dino when the guy got around to changing it. Some pretty long OCI's too. Mobil 1 has done tests with teearing engines down. All you are showing us is more of Amsoils sales literature. Its getting old.

Stop and go soccer mom driving is what tires out an engine. Start it up and run it without shutting it down it will last forever. I'm still not impressed.

AD
Last edited by adfd1