Skip to main content

Reply to "I think I'm sticking with Redline"

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:
An oil that has a Viscosity of 38 cST at 40C is better for cold protection than one that has a Viscosity of 49 cST at 40C.
Please provide proof. Just because an oil has a slightly higher viscosity than 3 other oils at 104F, does not necessarily mean it will be more viscous than the other 3 in cold weather.
quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1: That 38 cST oil will get to the desired operating viscosity faster too.
Please provide proof of this statement also.

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:CAN YOU PROVE I'M WRONG? SEEMS THE OIL COMPANIES ARE STRIVING FOR IT, AND AMSOIL IS A BIT BEHNID THE TIMES.
I thought I already have. You cannot extrapolate a curve based on 1 or 2 data points. How is AMSOIL a bit behind the times? Can you prove you are right?

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:Just wondering this is off Amsoil's site why is it they use a certain set of numbers when testing ASM, then different numbers for testing SSO? Speed and temps are different, IIRC a slower speed is harder on this worthless for testing oil test.

Four Ball Wear, 75°C, 1200 rpm, 40kg, 1 hour (ASTM D-4172B)

Vs.

SSO
Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM D4172: 40kgf, 150°C, 1800 rpm, 1 hr) Scar diameter, mm 0.406
Two different viscosities. Two different ASTM methods. How would 1200 revolutions be harder than 1800 revolutions
quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1: ACCORDING TO AN AMSOIL REP, THEY APPLY MORE PRESSURE TO SLOW THE MACHINE DOWN. WHY NOT TEST ALL OILS THE SAME ACROSS THE BOARD FOR SIMPLICITY? STILL A WORTHLESS TEST FOR CHECKING OIL, BUT LETS COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES IF WERE GOING TO USE TEST RESULTS.

AD

The pressure is still the same. 40kg is 40kg. Why should they test different SAE viscosity oils the same? They do test the same SAE viscosity oils the same. Apples to apples.