Skip to main content

Reply to "I think I'm sticking with Redline"

Well SSO is not doing anything that S3K HD 5W30 was not already doing.It does not go any further in extended drains and is not going to reduce wear any better then S3K so why make it? Amsoil had a great 5W30 oil product that had characteristics in line with Mil-Spec. Artic Oil and they had it for years so what is the 0W30 doing? What problem was their with the other XW30 oils that SSO 0W30 came along and fixed! Their is nothing I hate more then when a product is created just because you can and the marketing people think they can exploit it in some way! I like products that exist to solve a problem and that produce better results then the other products it is supposed to be replacing. Amsoil does not need all the various products they have in their catalogs their is a lot of cross over and it is entirely about marketing.

All of their products can not be the best that they can be or they would not need so many. This means some are great products and others are obsolete or not as good. When you run a race you can not have the entire field end up winners it just does not work that way int he real world it only works that way in feel good ultra liberal land!So by default looking at the size of the Amsoil product list they have to have a lot of obsolete not so good oils or their would not be much need for new products! Keep in mind that Amsoil does not pay for API seal's and certifications so they can do what they want and put what ever they want to in a bottle. They are not even in the same ball park on price point with anything else on the retail shelf! So for the price premium you pay to run their product all of their products should be leaps and bounds ahead of their competition and they should not need so many legacy products or they should not need as many new products. Marketing games!!!

Keep the engine clean, keep wear and oxidation in check for the duration of the OCI. Lubricate the engine. Not a lot of fancy stuff for oil to do just some basic stuff it has been doing for a long time. The problem is you have a lot of knuckle dragers still in the world that think they need a 20W50 Synthetic Racing oil or a 15W40 SYnthetic Diesel oil etc.....Then you have the tree huggers that think they are making a difference in the world by running 0W30 instead of 5W30 because a synthetic 5W30 with an average HTHS of 2.9 is just eating the gas at an alarming rate from all that drag in the engine!!!! It a dog at apony shoe is what it is....... Few people do UOA so they have no clue if their engine is benifiting from 20W50 Synthetic Race Oil or if they are saving the earth by switching from 5W30 to 0W30 etc........ Marketing is what it is about. Mobil-1 does not need to have all the products it has on the shelfs but I used to hold Amsoil to a higher standard, now I think marketing has taken the wheel and is steering the ship now.
The company has lost their integrity and so have many that sell the product. I am not one to bow down to marketing and I hate change just for the sake of marketing. In reality they could blend anything you wanted to but I recon they will stick to what they think will sell. They could make a 0W10 if it would be so great but you do not see them doing that.

This is what my neighbor e-mailed me about the oil that has Big Al's name on it, pure MARKETING, maybe they should put his picture on the bottle.