Skip to main content

Reply to "In-house or offsite Oil Analysis lab"

quote:
Originally posted by Rolly Angeles:
John,

Before jumping to having an onsite oil lab analysis we need to provide a feasibility or project study if this will really be an advantage or benefit. My last work was in a Mining firm before I put up my own organization, our monthly lubrication cost was around P 2,000,000 (pesos) or $ 50,000.00 divide the peso by 48 to get the conversion, but that was nothing our spare cost and overhauling damages such as hydraulic pumps amount to 4 times the cost of lubricants, not to mention other mechanical parts such as bearing seals etc.

In my study in this mining firm the equipment damages and lubricant cost far outweights the total cost of an in-house lab hence management approved it.

What is important in having an in-house lab is to have a feasiblity study and determine the ROI .

My Warm Regards,

Rolly Angeles
www.rsareliality.com

Absolutely agree. If the cost could be justified – having in-house or onsite lab is a way to go. While talking about “labs”, where we might disagree is what minimum instrumentation and the extent of analysis constitutes a LAB. Having some years of experience as an analyst in a couple of commercial labs, I have a hard time calling a shop with a couple of portable instruments – a “LAB”. However, I still believe that the best solution is a synergy between onsite testing and commercial lab testing. While it make sense for a site to acquire instruments for needed frequent testing/checking of some critical lubricant characteristics/parameters, there is no sense of buying testing equipment to perform once in a year testing (e.g. RPVOT and similar tests). In addition, hand-held instruments’ accuracy needs to be independently verified if one want to put fate of the equipment into numbers generated by them.