Skip to main content

Reply to "LUBRICANT SELECTION"

quote:
Originally posted by Jayesh Patel:
Generally in industry users only use the recommended lubricants by the machine manufacturer even better lubricants for the same application is available.
I would like to know which basic parameters one has to look at for selecting better lubricants.
Regds.

OEMs rely on, and advocate, proven/tested lubricants for a particular application. Oil companies’ lubricants R&D in this competitive world in which we live is an endless race for better, more efficient lubes. We (industrial lube users) should just kick back and enjoy the benefits of such situation. However, I am not suggesting that we should go out and replace our lube (which BTW perform satisfactorily) every time a new product is introduced to the market. My suggestion is for end-users to write used lubricant specifications based on OEM info and recommendation. With that info in hand, one should explore specs offered through the web and contact lube manufacturers (not necessarily in the suggested order), and then ask manufacturers for the POC of companies that already are using those new products. In another words, current acceleration in development of new lubes requires constant update of the end-users knowledge. Nevertheless, the economical decision to switch lubes should be based primarily on the performance rather that on the fact that there are better lubes out there on the market. If things are working fine - don’t rock a boat, but be aware of the choices on the market in case things go sour or your current lube is at the end of its service life and need to be replaced.

John