Skip to main content

Reply to "Mobil 1 0w-40"

quote:
Originally posted by ADFD1:

You got me there Kirk Smile I'll try and not ruffle any feathers. Your little snip tells me that those engines were neglected, and that extended drains are not for everyone, to quote a friend. The mechanic made it pretty clear IMO.

You said: This is quoted from a yahoo thread,AD.........

"As a mechanic, the engines I see the most problems with are the ones that the customer stretch the oil changes to 10,000 to 15,000 miles. I've seen numerous cars with worn or stretched timing chains, sticking camshaft actuators, stuck piston rings, collapsed lifters and a plethora of other problems.

Here's what I think:

I call that neglect, neglect causes problems. If you want to venture into extended drains get a UOA halfway through or where you would normally change the oil and see if it can go further. That could eliminate lots of problems I'd think!

As far as my uncle and dad, they are mechanics by trade, my uncle being the better of the two, sorry dad. They've used MMO countless times on cars that came to them suffering from neglect and saw what MMO did and know what it can do.

MMO works well cleaning up neglect's mess, and does a good job at freeing sticking lifters. No need for me to search for data to back it up, I have two family members that have done it, as well as a friend who is a respected machinist. Then lots of friends and tons of praise on Bitog, need I say more?

AD

quote:
Well then, with all that MMO flooding/flushing the market place according to you,AD------the world is apparently all sludged up thanks to low quality motor oil in the market place......sure AD,I know the drill,they all abused their cars would be your typical line----never the oils fault! However,I'm Not gonna buy it! Cool The oil must get all/most of the blame,because that's where all the sludge comes from in the first place. By definition,I am abusing my cars,yet I have no sludge!

Ad,the snip I quoted clearly shows the engine was not neglected in fact. You left a very important segment of info out.

So,Here it is....

"I've seen a new vehicle with 26,000 miles that needed new piston rings because the FIRST oil change was done at 12,000 and the reason the car came into the shop at 20,000 miles was the engine wouldn't run because the SYNTHETIC Mobile One engine oil was the consistancy of glue and the camshaft actuators was sticking causing in engine misfire! "

THAT'S NOT NEGLECT...THAT'S INFERIOR OIL SLUDGING UP THE ENGINE IN SHORT ORDER.............AS USUAL

AD,I have seen you state the oil companies have spent billions on research----SO THEY MUST KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING-wright?....... WRONG!!! THINK AGAIN! I ALWAYS DO!

In reality..... the oil companies have spent the majority of money/research on where to find--- new oil,(TOO MAKE MORE-BIG MONEY)not how to make truly better motor oil,or even better fuel,never mind locating and safely drilling in deep wells like in the gulf for example. We know how that turned out!

The really big money being spent now days on R&D for engine technology is being spent by the automakers themselves. What is now needed would be high tech,mainstream-store/shop bought lubricant to match the high tech engines on the market and the environmental demands for extended oil changes......4k miles not withstanding other than being a joke perhaps,and waaayy old school and still in the dark ages!

For now,there exists only one way to meet the above criteria--------you know what that is!!

I never was an "old school" kinda guy.......never will be!
Last edited by captainkirk