Skip to main content

Reply to "Mobil 1 0w-40"

Kirk I agree, however until a good proven LT fluid comes along from a legit company with a proven track record I'll stick to my maint program.

Funny story, I have a Shipmate with a BMW that has a tranny that is so called filled for life. With no real way for the DIY guy to even check it. His tranny died, due to the fluid failing, the level of the fluid was correct, the fluid burnt, and dirty. Less than 100K on the car. So much for LT fluids. He babies this thing too. We could call it neglect, he didn't even hit 100K on a filled for live tranny. Short life I guess since no one can really define life. Great way out for a good legal team I guess.

My GF's Jeep has no dipstick and the OM IIRC suggests changing the Trans fluid at 100K miles. No way, 30,000 miles I'll have the fluid serviced, not worth the risk.

OTOH my dad told me of a friend he had that changed his O/F once a year, and checked his oil once a month on a GMC car. In over 100,000 miles he never changed M1 oil. Just filters and top ups. The car smoked but ran. We could say he had LT fluid in it because he got lucky and it worked. I bet if he changed his oil when he was supposed to the engine would have been cleaner and in better shape. Remember the filter traps, dirt, it can't replace spent TBN, remove the damage fuel dilution causes to oil, or moisture from short trips. Lets not forget dirt since combustion in an engine is a dirty process. The only way to fix that is to get that dirty oil out!

Yes I drove in NJ, I was born and raised in Long Island, NY. Ever drive into NYC via Northern Blvd, the Grand Central Pwky, or Queens Blvd? how about into Rosedale, or Cambia Hts? There were pot holes going into NYC that would swallow a car. It rains a lot in WA but the roads are very good.

AD