Skip to main content

Reply to "Mobil 1 0w-40"

quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
Can't argue there. Extended drains are not for everyone.

Extended drains are not a matter of personal preference,they are a matter of technological breakthroughs and economic/environmental mandates.

Motor oil has been proven to actually lube better with use vs brand new lube.

The only time I would agree with frequent oil changes is when there are issues such as a worn/tired used engine that kills the oil due to a study diet of low grade lubes.

Other than the above issue......extended oil changes are no problem with the right oil chemistry on a sound engine/emission/coolant and fuel delivery system......preferably when new/almost new with no pre-existing wear or sludge from previous inferior lubes.

I have several co-workers who did the 3k oil change and lost an engine due to a blown head gasket or defective injector subsequently wiping the engine out in short order(heavy knocking,or worse--hydrolocking)......NO ONE IS TOTALLY IMMUNE TO CATASTROPHIC FAILURE---INCLUDING COLLISIONS AND THEFT.

Performing UOA is not practical for the average motorist and simply isn't going to happen unless the on board systems analyze the oil on the fly---which may become mainstream one day for all the functional lubes.......don't hold your breath just yet for that one.

For now,the lifetime/extended life fluids are proving themselves to be the practical economic choice overall for most motorists. I know of people for example who never change their OEM gear lubes or ATF,and have no issues even at 150k...granted the ATF looks very bad on the stick.
Last edited by captainkirk