Skip to main content

Reply to "New Car Warranty using Amsoil..."

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear:
Tim, I talked with my Amsoil rep last nite and it seems doing extended drains is not the easiest thing to do without some work and money by the guy doing the extended drains with Amsoil. He told me if your car is under warranty and the owners manual calls for a 5000 mile OCI and you want to run Amsoil for one year and lets pick 25,000 miles, you better be getting a UOA done every 5000 miles. He also said that each UOA at 5000 miles better look as good as Blackstones Universal Averages for a 5000 mile OCI. He said most of his customers are lucky to get about 13,000 miles out of the Amsoil motor oil while they are under warranty becuase of the driving they do.
I think that is poor advice. No UOA is required when following AMSOIL's extended drain service intervals. Why pay for a bunch of UOA's when AMSOIL has never caused part failure in 38 years?

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear: Lets say I do not want to do these UOA's and I have a problem at 19,000 miles, some lubricated part in the engine goes bad, I call Amsoil up, they want me to send in a sample of the oil, they contact me after doing an Oil Analysis and say sorry we cannot help you because your TBN was 0.0 they go onto say that you should have been doing UOA's every 5000 miles and you fall under severe service and this oil should have been changed sooner. If Amsoil comes out to investigate and they find anything that is not right, they will say sorry, if you refuse to cooperate, then they will not honor the warranty.
Wrong again. If the part fails due to a manufacturing defect, the vehicle manufacturer pays. If the part fails due to AMSOIL (never happened in 38 years) then AMSOIL pays.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear: So, I am using a 25,000 mile or one year oil and I have to get under the car every 5000 miles to pull an oil sample, heck if I am under the car taking a sample I might as well change the oil. You better believe even if you do get UOA's done and you have a problem, Amsoil will look for anything that will get them out of paying up. Suppose Amsoil does pay up becuase it is there motor oil's fault, they could turn around and say look we are not going to warranty our oil for one year, use the XL Line instead, I do not think Amsoil is going to take the chance of having to replace another engine or get it fixed, they may do this once or twice, but not three times.
Wrong. AMSOIL does not require UOA's if you follow their oil recommendations. The only time they require UOAs are if you take the oil past the interval they recommend.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear: Then we need to look at the true cost of running Amsoil for one year versus using Pennzoil YB at 5000 mile OCI's, and we can throw in Pennzoil Platinum too.
AMSOIL has already done this for you at http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g1971.pdf?zo=1181889 . AMSOIL cost was $44.50 for 25,000 miles, Pennzoil Platinum was $162.25 for 25,000 miles. This is why 3500 Texas State Police have used AMSOIL for the past 10 years, as has 15,000 other government agencies. It saves them time and money and better for the environment.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Bear: If you want to skimp on those UOA's, guess what, you are up the creek with Amsoil, you need documentation to prove your case with Amsoil.
Again, those UOA's are not required. You will not find that recommendation at www.amsoil.com or anywhere else. The only time you need to run a UOA is if you want to exceed AMSOIL's oil change recommendations. Some people never change their AMSOIL, they just run UOA's when recommended by AMSOIL to verify the oil and engine are fine. Sounds like you need to find a more knowledgeable dealer. You can also contact AMSOIL tech service to verify. AMSOIL extended changes are indeed the easiest thing to do.
Last edited by timvipond