Skip to main content

Reply to "New Car Warranty using Amsoil..."

I'm starting to like Edge, nice info Big Bear. Better cold pumping and taking less time to get to operating temps is a good thing.

AD

US Navy. Helping keep us safe.

AD, I am running Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 in my car during the warm weather, but I plan on running Castrol Edge 0W-20 from October until late April since that is when I see the coldest temps in my area. I usually drive the car about 10 to 20 miles and then shut it off for a certain number of hours and then drive back home. My type of driving is not best for an oil like Amsoil, nor is my driving style good for extended drains with Amsoil.

If I lived near the Interstate and drove 50 miles up the Highway and my work was a mile or so off the interstate, and then I drove 50 miles back home, this would be 100 miles each day, so 500 miles a week times 50 weeks and I would have about 25,000 miles a year, so Amsoil would be great in this situation, I am thinking very few people drive there cars like this.

I have heard that about 85% of your wear is during startup or until your engine gets up to operating temps, so if that is the case, and especially during cold weather I want a thinner oil, in the late spring and summer I am not as concerned about the starting temp of the oil because it is probably at a starting temp like 70 degrees or so and it will flow very well.