Skip to main content

Reply to "New Car Warranty using Amsoil..."

Re: AMSOIL position on API Licensing
BOBISTHEOILGUY Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Let me point out something here.. Why other non api oil are not "bashed" as amsoil is, only because they are not using the same marketing tactics. I totally agree with david, the amsoil oil is good , it fits a specialty market, and many have nothing but good results. The issue is warr in this thread.

The claim of warr related issues saying it is against the law to deny warr for use of non api oil, is incorrect as you see by the mos act which they are relying their comments on. This is only what I'm pointing out is how this law and intent was written. That comment . However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty(Like the statement in owners manual requiring api certified oils only) which may result in its being voided. is the catch.

Amsoil might be-able to beat it, but... at what cost to the owner. Amsoil, like any other oil company, can do an analysis, verify the oil didn't do it, and leave it up to you to fight with the manufacture which specifically states to use an api certified oil as a condition of the warr program. Failure to do so, gives them a right to deny warr. It's a contract for warr, you fail to follow the conditions prescribed by the contract and feel you don't have to follow the conditions of that contract, then this can void and be con-screwed as a breach of contract. Why should the manufacture have to adhere to the contract when the consumer doesn't? Most commonly, you wont see this problem or issue of deny warr, but if aftermarket modifications are made, be it bypass filtration or use of a non api certified oil, then this can open the door for litigation, arguments,and the only one to lose would be the one in the middle.

This isn't a matter of bashing amsoil but just taking the spin out and putting realism in on this subject. Being in sales, you have to come up with responses to lower the damage created by the truth sometimes and this is a problem that plagues them and will continue to do so until addressed with the truth.

Should you quit using amsoil, of course not, if your not worried about having to litigate for warr issues. If out of warr, then by all means, use what you like. It's your engine, your choice, and no one can tell you not to.

If you are satisfied with amsoil, which no reason not to be, then I'd strongly encourage you to continue with it as it appears to be a good oil and no reason should you have any problems with such.

Myself, I have not sold any of schaeffers true synth for several reasons, one of which I don't think it is needed in the automotive application and is somewhat an over kill, but a few can benefit from it for extended drain purposes, but the second and most important reason is that I have made very clear that their(schaeffers) full synth 5w30 oil is not api certified. I'm very confident of it's quality and ability to do an excellent job, but I would not ever encourage use of any non api certified oil in a new warr'd engine, and this includes schaeffers full synth.

The main point of this board is to bring in what evidence you have, post it, then from looking at all the evidence, you can make your mind up as to which way you want to proceed. If you want to use of a non api certified oil, do as one stated earlier, just drop it off with the service manager, don't make any mention of the oil you use and let them do their job and most likely it will never become an issue.

Another thing to consider is to talk with the service manager and find out their disposition of the use of a non api oil. If they don't care, then good, but if they do have a problem with it, you then know ahead of time what to expect if they want to blame the oil regardless if it was that or not.

What you'll find when mechanics do blame the oil is when sludge becomes an issue. In one instance for example, glycol causing sludge, or was it really the oil sludging causing the head to overheat, warping the head and leaking glycol into the oil? Point here, which came first and caused the same result? the oil damaging it or the head damaging it? No matter who's pointing the finger at each other, the end result is the same, oil analysis will show glycol in the oil and depending on which end of the stick you're on, mechanic says oil did it first, oil company says head did it first and You're in the middle.

In conclusion, don't consider this as a personal amsoil bashing as it's not. Amsoil does have the xl7500 series oil, and it is highly recommended by myself that you use that api certified oil, at least till you're out of warr, then move up their top of the line oil.

[ January 07, 2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]