Skip to main content

Reply to "Oil brand #1(in USA)"

quote:
Originally posted by usedjapancardialer:
... I can't make my choice based only on viscosity formula. I want to trust contents of "beauteful packaging"...

Neither do I 'recommend’ it!
Grouping oils by (recommended) viscosity and by base oil (mineral or synthetic) should be just first step in process of oil selection. Next step should be collecting technical data about all applicable oils. Internet is a perfect tool for that purpose. Data comparison is next natural and most demanding step which will take the most part of (your) time. As a reference point take ‘native oil’ and check how all prospect oils relate to it. Begin with API /ACEA specifications. API ‘rules’ that SM is better than SL, or CL-4 is better than CH-4. ACEA ‘says’ that A3/B3 is as good as A5/B5 for extended drains. Compare then viscosity numbers followed by other available points. All of manufacturers do not post same data so be careful about it. As a result the most alike oil would be the best replacement for ‘native oil’. As a final step price comparison should help you to find out is particular choice going to improve your budget or not. You’ll definitely benefit from both options. At least you’ll have more options for future applications.

Just explained would be explained correct technical approach in oil selection (what I made tens of times professionally) and my diplomatic answer to your question as well. But, it’s for sure that you didn’t expect it. So, I’ll try to be a little bit more suggestive. If I want to be sincere my personal Amsoil alternative would be Mobil1. By me, they have some ethical issues in relation to customers but definitely not technical ones.