Skip to main content

Reply to "Oil Change Intervals - Why Try To Extend?"

quote:
Originally posted by JasonD:
I'd like to hear how often everyone changes their oil and why. I don't believe the auto manufacturers recommendations - I think that they are just trying to sell more parts and cars.

I change my oil every 2,500 miles - I think it's the safest way to go. Why risk extending it?

I've run my 7.3 non turbo for 250,000 plus after overhaul & oil analysis at each oil change. I do not use expensive oil since analysis shows wear elements accumilate at about the same rate with or withour synthetic oil. My interval is approximately 50 hours.
The most important thing is additive package, of which I have my personal favorites. Additive packages are meant to go for a defined amount of time before they deteriorate to unusable and detrimental stages. Filters cannot take out the small micronic particles that form wear particles. I used Caterpiller Labs for my testing and they give you feed back on what is good and bad.
I think you are on the right track with your idea on not extending oil change intervals. If you don't buy new vehicles or expensive replacement parts, you put a kink in auto and part manufacturers business plans.