Skip to main content

Reply to "Oil Change Intervals - Why Try To Extend?"

I have seen "charts" reflecting UOA's that clearly show wear metals leveling out at 3K miles. In other words wear metals "peaked" at 3K and then leveled off up to 10K. So a well tuned...properly filtered (air/oil) engine will show no less/more wear going 10K OCI's than 3K OCI's. Given the TBN is still active I assume Smile
2ndly....Fuel dilution is an issue for me.....however I now see "charts" reflecting that fuel dilution do not equate to wear metals from the fuel shearing the viscosity. Actually the chart I saw reflected the oil rebounding....
3rdly...oil temps and filtering seem to play a large role in being able to take any oil out to 10K and above. Too hot and it breaks down...too cold and it doesn't burn off fuel/condensation.
So I ask....it appears there are several contributing factors to anybody considering a 10K OCI....seems to me that there is a smaller group of people who fit into the "box" that would allow all the above factors to fall into place that would allow a 10K OCI. Short trips/dusty conditions/excessive heat from towing etc./large cam, excessive idling in town and fuel dilution/ etc. etc. would appear to eliminate many from even considering a 10K OCI....or would shorten the engines life by doing so.....curious of thoughts here....