Skip to main content

Reply to "Oil Change Intervals - Why Try To Extend?"

Not to throw another wrench or angle into this, but also for those who are so equipped with one, why not just follow your OLM?

We have a Honda Pilot, and it is the first vehilce that I've had that has one. I didn't want to believe them at first, but after doing some research, it turns out that the programming for them is more sophisticated than any of us could hope to be on the mileage/hours/use of oil measurement, save for doing an actual ananylsis of the lubricant. I also I've read that they are trying to come up with a device that will do an analysis while driving.

So, does it make sense to follow a set mileage pattern anymore? Not really. At the same time, however, I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement and change it strictly at 10 or 15K miles either.

What makes it difficult is the fact of all of the variables that come into play, as mentioned before. Highway driving is far easier on oil than city, longer trips are easier than shorter ones. Summer trips are easier than winter ones.

Set mileage oil changes are becoming extinct, too slow for my taste, but extinct nonetheless.