Skip to main content

Reply to "Oil Decision Time."

This drama-queen cat fight isn't even remotely interesting anymore and I'm not sure if it was ever informative.

Use a fighting-grade oil & change every 3 months or use a high-quality syn (no PIB, no GrpIII, no plasticizer) and extend your drain based on hard data of some sort, or fall somewhere in between. It may all come down to how you drive your vehicle. Maybe there's not a one-size-fits-all solution? Maybe the path you choose is all a matter of personal and/or lifestyle preference and doesn't really say much about your moral or intellectual character?

Maybe any of those approaches, taken thoroughly & responsibly, will allow your engine to outlast the rest of your chassis?

Henry Ford used to send engineers to the junkyards buy & tear apart old Fords to see which parts were still in good shape. Then FoMoCo would design a less robust version for the next iteration. He didn't see the point of throwing quality away. I don't get the obsession with making sure the engine is pristine when the rest of the rusting hulk is towed to the junkyard.

If this is the most important thing you guys have to argue about, I'd trade problems with any of you straight up.