Skip to main content

Reply to "Oil Decision Time."

Lamont
quote:
As for the cataclysmic perverter, that's not relevant, since NJ only sticks the pipe for older cars that lack the plug-in diagnostic feature, like my '90 Miata.

Lamont,are you sure you live in NJ,like me!

Any converter issues now days in NJ.are far more relevant than the stick test days.

I managed to pass inspection on my cars with the converter off(test-pipe/no mirrors used) with a stick test years ago! Today,the check engine light comes on if the converter is bad/worn/missing.etc.........and you fail inspection---no stick test needed. CATALYTIC CONVERTERS ARE ABSOLUTELY RELEVANT IN NJ. YOU MAKE NO SENSE,LAMONT!

http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/smog-check.php

Lamont quoted:
The coil was intermittent and the associated plug wire had a boot issue that compounded the miss. I noticed it as a very intermittent miss under moderate load change a year or more ago. It had gotten to be an actual PIA about a month or two ago. The check engine light hadn't yet come on when I went through inspection, so I passed.

That was some miss.........a bad coil----and a bad wire!!! AND NO CEL???

Now I see what you meant by calling your car a grocery getter....and barely that! I would never drive any car with a miss for a year. My buick miss was fixed in two days,and that was too long. Luckily, it was minor/intermittent! BTW........Cars don't run degraded to the point of being a PIA----without the CEL LIT...COME ON,LAMONT---YOU KNOW THAT!

I now also see why you have no sludge in the engine as you claimed---------FUEL DILUTION!!!

Lamont quoted:
The cat red herring makes me wonder if you're a real Joisey Bastid or just another wannabe like the cast from Jersey Shore and our new Governor. Or were you not the guy who claimed to be from Joisey? I haven't really been paying close enough attention to the social aspects of this thread.

---------LAMONT.....SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!

Lamont,what is your background again????

I am starting to wonder with those stories of yours! They are technically----near impossible!! Car that runs terrible,and no check engine light???--- Any real tech will tell you that the PCM is almost too sensitive at throwing codes and lighting the CEL.......LONG BEFORE ANY DETECTABLE MISS---------LET ALONE,FOR A WHOLE YEAR!! BAD COIL/WIRE/AND MISS-NO CODE/CEL!! GET REAL! NO WAY!!!

THIS QUOTE FROM MIRO....NAILS IT PRETTY ACCURATELY!!!

((If the misfire was not detected by the OBD II and the check engine light is not ON permanently and FLASHING when it is happening, complain to EPA and that is FREE FIX for you (irrespective of the mileage - as that is SYSTEM OBD II failure and the OEM is now subject to $25,000 fine for EVERY VERHICLE THEY SOLD IN USA that as the same "characteristics".)))

Lamont.....just to be clear now-----------YOU'RE CLAIMING THAT THE OBD-II,FAILED....FOR A YEAR???? WAS IT YOUR AVALON(TOYOTA)??

This is the reason the old fashioned stick test is not needed........the OBD II SYSTEM NOW DOES THE JOB OF THE OLD STICK TEST!

http://www.aa1car.com/library/o2sensor.htm

AS YOU CAN SEE,LAMONT.........THE CAT IS VERY RELAVENT----------INCLUDING JOISEY CATS!!!
Last edited by captainkirk