Skip to main content

Reply to "Oil Decision Time."

quote:
Originally posted by Trajan:
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Kirk:

http://www.schleeter.com/oil-sludge.htm

The very link I refered to.

■On any vehicle, if you can't afford synthetic oil, check your owner's manual and insist on the correct weight of quality oil.
synlube isn't it.

This is also from the link,and it is the crux of the matter you seem to be avoiding!!

in the struggle to pass tougher federal emissions specifications, car manufacturers have raised engine operating temperatures and increased exhaust gas recirculation (EGR). In 1996, tighter federal emissions standards were enacted. Fuel mixtures have to run leaner, and leaner mixtures cause higher combustion temperatures. When nitrogen in the air is raised to higher temperatures it is converted into new contaminant cocktails. By 1997, sludge is appearing as a major problem.

After 1996, tighter emissions standards added pressure to the oiling system, and problems appeared.

The above statements from the link nails it. Yes,some people neglect changing their cheap mineral oil further compound a pre-existing condition and sludge up their engines that much faster-----but the majority of sludge is from using low tech oil in high tech engines,and that is a fact! That'S why sludge issues suddenly went up exponentially,yet the number of motorists/cars remained basically static.

This is also from the link and nails it again--just some more facts!!

Federal pressures for more fuel economy in cars and trucks led car manufacturers to design engines for lower viscosity motor oils. Lighter oils tend to break down faster under urban driving conditions.

I recommend synthetic motor oil to all my customers to prevent sludge. Why?

Synthetic lubricants cost just slightly more than conventional oils, but offer the best engine protection because: * synthetics remain stable at high temperatures (conventional oils break down faster at today's higher engine temps) * synthetics remain fluid at very low temperatures (conventional oils thicken) * additive packages are formulated with special chemicals for top cleaning and anti-oxidant protection
-----------------------------------------------------------

However,I use synlube,don't change it,and I don't have any sludge---including my cut open oil filters that are flawless and clean!