Skip to main content

Reply to "Sizing of filter element"

Dear “mohanraj”;

The reason I was asking you those questions is, to remind you of something you may already know, that the main purpose of in-line filters is not to filter the oil you are operating with. Their purpose is to primarily protect sensitive equipment (i.e. proportional valves) from a sudden wear potentially generated by intake pumps in the system, providing that the bulk oil is filtered to a cleanliness level suitable for the tightest clearance in the system. The notes posted by both, Ray Gomes and Perry Thiessen are very informative and valuable. I will join them in saying that filter companies may be the best source to find the calks you are looking for. However, finding the “right” ratio to optimize oil flow and surface area of a filter (to reach the best filter efficiency) are much more important for off-line filters than the in-line filters. Nonetheless, an over-sized surface area of an in-line filter element will prevent any possible oil’s pressure drop upstream of the filter due to thickened oil during cold start, and minimize electrostatic buildup and discharge.