Skip to main content

Reply to "Synlube"

Thank you, Analysisguy. You are right with your statement, that my points are related to automotive.
In addition to this thread I'd like to add, that my focus is on long oil dtrain intervals. I try to understand what's happening during long oil drain intervals within the oil. I have data showing that it's possible to use quality oils under best case conditions up to a 100.000 Miles without an oil change. No wear, no high oil consumption - everything fine. These oils are readily available in the market for years - Yet I would not recommend anyone to do such long oil drain intervals in his private car.
Why not? Doing such long oil drains may lead to funny effects within the oil, which may harm your engine. Especially the infulence of fuel for oil deteoriation is tremendous. Using proper fuel is the most important thing in a long oil drain interval.
E.g. if you have traces of dienes or improper balanced PIBA / PIBSA Detergents / dispersants in your fuel - and you get problems. These molecules are added to your oil via blowby.
One last remark to Synlube - The ILSAC GF-4 spec limits the allowed TBN to below ca. 8. It's hidden in the phosphour / sulfur limits of the spec. How can the very same product fulfill a Cummins Limit of having a TBN of at least 10 and fulfill GF-4 at the same time? It's a miracle to me....