Skip to main content

Reply to "Synlube"

quote:
Because of the graphite the TBN comes about 6 to 7 points LESS than it is by chemical titration so again nothing to worry about and the real TBN is still way over 10.

They use electronic probe which conducts current through the sample and unless the result is at least 5 TAN the Syn is still OK to be used.

This is BS to infer the TBN test is low because of graphite interference with conductance is WRONG.

Folks Graphite has NO effect on a TBN or TAN test using either method, I know since I have run them on my own products which contain a lot of graphite and moly, BUT I'm sure the answer to that is they use secret graphite in a secret sauce and us normal lab guys can not figure it out

Here go the excuses already and NO report seen yet.

1 Lab tech is new = results may not be accurate
2 Lab ownership is new = Incompetence
3 Graphite throws off TBN test buy 7-8 numbers

First if you suspected this lab would have trouble with a simple basic test like a TBN and would make your product look bad maybe you should have asked them of there test procedures and discussed this with them now you look like you are making excuses.

And with out a "accurate" test how do you know the oil TBN is still 10??

Lastly as I remember this oil only has 7K or so on it big deal I thought this is never drain
oil? Is there more than 1 person who has used this and if so have any sent in a sample at any higher mileage? If this is so great there should be at least 1 or 2 100K samples NO?

bruce

With a high solid oil I would not expect any wear numbers out of wack but its conveient
That the lab did not run a VOA's what did they do lose the sample well send it again DUH.

If this lab is that incompetent then all the data is suspect.
Last edited by bruce381