Skip to main content

Reply to "Synlube"

Houckster, even after all that I've read from both you and jonny-b about this product, I still am leary to try it.

First, and usually the hardest pill to swallow is the fact that it is supposed to be a lifetime lubricant. Given all that most that are oil obsessed and frequently check on specifications of different lubricants, updated formulations, and knowing that from what we've read and been taught, the oil base itself is not what goes bad, it is the additive package depletion and wear metal build up that warrants oil changes. Now oil changes can be greatly extended through analysis, bypass filtration to supplement the full flow filter, and synthetic basestocks with a hefty additive package built in.

Second, is cost, which in Synlube's case, would be the initial start up of use. I spend more money on oils than most are willing, but at $32 per liter, it is tough to swallow, particularly if you have a bigger sump capacity.

In all honesty, I would love to be able to put a lubricant in and forget about it so to speak, but just common physics and the operation of the internal combustion engine suggest that even with today's technological advances in lubricants and lubrication design, it is not possible to have a lifetime lubricant that doesn't require a complete drain and refill with fresh.

Also, if you read the fine print on the website, even they recommend an hour/mileage change of their lubricant. So in it's basic form, it isn't a lifetime one time fill. Yes, some vehicles will consume oil, hence the add fill and service fill for the filter changes, but that is still replacing some of the fluid with fresh, but not with enough, in my opinion, to fully recharge the lubricant. And last, without bypass filtration, wear metals WILL BUILD UP in the crankcase. No matter hoe good the lubricant, engines DO and WILL wear, if not from design and operation, from abnormal use or improper use.

I'm glad that you have found success with Synlube, it is just that without data, UOA's, detailed information of specific patterns of the engine, it will still be a very hard sale to most in the lubrication field.