Skip to main content

Reply to "Synlube"

Heavier is better. Thicker is better. You can tell the viscosity of oil by feel (between your thumb and fore finger). “I’ve used straight 30 weight for years.” Motor oil viscosity is not that big a deal. Thicker motor oil is better for your engine and increases engine life. One must use SAE 20W-50 motor oil if the vehicle has over 100,000 miles on it. SAE 5W-20 is too thin to protect the engine. Synthetic SAE 5W-30 is thinner than conventional SAE 5W-30 motor oil. Straight weight oils (i.e., SAE 30) give better protection than multi-viscosity oils.
Fact: There are two main reasons why vehicle manufacturers recommend thinner or lighter viscosity grades of motor oil. First, a gain in fuel economy can be achieved with lower viscosity oil. At cold temperatures and at start up, lower viscosity oil will reduce internal engine friction. About 10% of the engine's horsepower is lost to internal engine friction, resulting in a drop in fuel economy. Additionally, vehicle manufacturers are struggling to meet Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) requirements set by the government and avoid paying associated fines. Any fuel mileage improvement associated with a lubricant use would be good for them, and lighter viscosity grade motor oil will make a difference.

Second, thinner motor oil is essential for easy starting, particularly in cold weather, and for proper lubrication once the engine starts. Today's smaller engines have smaller clearances and tighter tolerances between moving parts, and there have been some instances where camshaft damage has occurred because of inadequate lubrication with higher viscosity grades in colder weather. Thinner oils, such as SAE 5W-30, will flow faster than heavier motor oils during start-up and initial engine operation and will help protect the engine from excessive wear. Multigrade oil will also offer the same high temperature protection as single grade motor oil. Always check your vehicle owner's manual to select the proper viscosity grade based on the expected temperature range. The viscosity grade(s) recommended by the vehicle manufacturer depend somewhat on engine design. Engine manufacturers have spent considerable time and expense experimenting with different viscosity grades and have indicated in the owner's manual the grades they feel will best protect the engine at specific temperatures. While one manufacturer's engine may require an SAE 10W-30, another manufacturer's engine may require an SAE 5W-20 viscosity grade. This is likely due to different tolerances within the engine or other engine design factors.

Houckster, I am sorry to say that you sound alot like Frank Miller over at auto-rx who never tested his product and made claims that were not true. If these thinner oil's out today did not protect as well as thicker oil's we would have engines seizing left and right.

I have seen a VOA on Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra and I base everything on my observations from using variuos oil's and oil additives.

Pennzoil Platinum is an awesome oil
Auto-Rx just does not work for me or anyone
MMO is a fantastic product

I can back up what I say with my observations and other people have followed my lead with great results, you cannot back up your statements with any kind of proof, since you have quoted me then I must have struck a nerve with you.

How about bringing some of these satisfied Synlube users on here so I can ask them some questions.

How about some Valvetrain Pics

A super thick oil like your Synlube might be o.k. for some sustained high RPM driving, but most of us do not drive like that.

Can you tell me what kind of oil you use for your basestock, can you show us pictures of the great big Synlube plant where your product is made, give us a You-Tube Video, I bet you won't do that.

You probably use some Shell Rotella 15W-40 which has a 40 Degree Celcius number close to your Synlube product, then you go out in your garage and mix the stuff up.

Don't feel bad, Miro, at least you personally mix your stuff up, I like that in you, it seems you personally mix your stuff into the base oil to make Synlube.

Frank Miller at arx has Havilland Products in Michigan ship and bottle auto-rx to him in Florida.

Miro, prove me WRONG with some You-Tube Video of the great Synlube Factory that makes this product, I doubt it, becuase I called you a few weeks ago and you had no Synlube, you told me that you needed to make a new batch, that had me thinking that this stuff is mixed up in your garage.